This article will show you how to update drivers on your computer. Drivers are software that your computer uses to control hardware and components such as speakers, flash drives, and the like. In most cases, drivers are installed and updated automatically when the hardware is connected to the computer, but sometimes this needs to be done manually. On a Windows computer, you can view and update drivers using Device Manager, and on a Windows and Mac OS X computer, you can download drivers directly from the hardware manufacturer's website.
Method 1 of 4: On Windows
Step 1. Open the Start Menu
Click on the Windows logo in the lower left corner of the screen.
In Windows 10, almost all drivers are updated using Windows Update. This usually happens automatically, but you can manually check for updates at any time
Step 2. Click "Options"
This gear-shaped icon is in the lower-left corner of the Start menu. Opens the "Options" window.
Step 3. Click on "Update and Protection"
This option is in the Options window.
If an option is open in the Options window, first click Home in the upper left corner of the window
Step 4. Click on Windows Update
You will find this option on the left side of the window.
Step 5. Click on Check for Updates
It's near the top of the page. Windows will start looking for any available updates, including updated drivers.
Depending on how much time has passed since the last update, this process can take several minutes
Step 6. Click Install if necessary
This button will appear at the top of the page if updates are available. The download of the update files to your computer will begin.
- Depending on the version of Windows, the download of updates may start automatically.
- When the updates are installed, you may be prompted to restart your computer.
Method 2 of 4: On Mac OS X
Step 1. Open the Apple menu
Click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen.
Apple handles all driver updates that are released for Mac hardware
Step 2. Tap App Store
This option is on the menu. The App Store opens.
Step 3. Click on the Updates tab at the top of the window
Do this if this tab is not open in the store by default. A list of all available updates will be displayed, including driver updates.
Step 4. Click Update All
It's a gray button on the right side of the App Store window. The download of all available updates will begin.
You can also click Update to the right of each desired driver if you only want to update the drivers
Step 5. Wait while the updates are downloaded and installed
This may take several minutes; perhaps when the process is complete, you will be prompted to restart your computer.
If the system blocked the installation of a driver, it probably does not have a digital signature from Apple. In this case, allow the installation of third-party programs
Method 3 of 4: Using Device Manager (Windows)
Step 1. Know when to use this method
You can find Microsoft-approved drivers on the Internet using Device Manager, but you need to do this after you use Windows Update. This is because Windows Update will find the correct driver faster.
Step 2. Open the Start Menu
Click on the Windows logo in the lower left corner of the screen.
Alternatively, you can right-click the Start icon
Step 3. Open Device Manager
Type device manager in the Find box, and then click Device Manager at the top of the Start window.
If you right-clicked the Start icon, click Device Manager from the menu that opens
Step 4. Find the section with the hardware whose driver you want to update
Scroll through the contents of the Device Manager window to find the section related to hardware with an outdated driver.
For example, to update your Bluetooth adapter driver, find the Bluetooth section
Step 5. Double click on the section
It expands to display a list of all connected (or previously connected) devices.
If the section is already expanded, skip this step
Step 6. Select hardware
Click on the name of the device you want to update the driver for.
If the device you want is not listed, the hardware is not installed on your computer. If this happens, close Device Manager, connect the hardware to your computer, follow the onscreen instructions, and then re-expand the device section in Device Manager
Step 7. Click on the Action tab
It's at the top of the Device Manager window. A menu will open.
Step 8. Click Update Drivers
It's near the top of the menu. A new window will open.
Step 9. Click on Search automatically for updated drivers
It's an option in the middle of the window. The driver search for the selected device will start.
Step 10. Follow the instructions on the screen
If drivers are available, you will be prompted to install them; depending on your hardware, you may have to click on some options before the driver is installed.
- When the drivers are updated, you may be prompted to restart your computer.
- If a message appears stating that the correct drivers are already installed, the system cannot find the required driver files. In this case, download the drivers from the hardware manufacturer's website if you are sure that the drivers are out of date.
Method 4 of 4: How to download drivers from the device manufacturer's website
Step 1. Find out the model and manufacturer of the device whose driver you want to update
To install the drivers manually, you need to download them from the device manufacturer's website. Therefore, you need to know the name of the manufacturer and the model of the device.
- For example, if you have a Razer keyboard, look for drivers on the Razer website.
- If you are using a laptop, look for all the drivers you need on the laptop manufacturer's website.
- Look for the model of the device in the instructions for it. The model is also listed in Device Manager if the system has recognized the device.
Step 2. Go to the device manufacturer's website
Below are the largest manufacturers of components and devices for computers. If the manufacturer you need is not in the list, look for it on the Internet:
- Gigabyte - gigabyte.ru/support/
- Intel - downloadcenter.intel.com/ru
- MSi - ru.msi.com/support#support_download
- ASRock - asrock.com/support/index.ru.asp
- Asus - asus.com/ru/support/
- Video Cards:
- NVIDIA - nvidia.ru/Download/index.aspx?lang=ru
- AMD / ATI - support.amd.com/ru-ru/download
- Dell - dell.com/support/home/ru/ru/19/Products/laptop?app=drivers
- Gateway - gateway.com/worldwide/support/
- HP - www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html
- Lenovo - support.lenovo.com/ru/ru
- Toshiba - support.toshiba.com
- Network cards:
- Linksys - linksys.com/ru/support/
- Netgear - downloadcenter.netgear.com/ru/
- Realtek - realtek.com/downloads/
- Trendnet - trendnetrussia.ru/langru/support/
- Optical drives:
- Samsung - samsung.com/ru/support/
- Sony - sony.ru/electronics/support
- LG - lg.com/ru/support
- LiteOn - us.liteonit.com/us/service-support/download
- Creative - support.creative.com/?l=8-7-3
- Logitech - support.logitech.com/ru_ru/home
- Plantronics - plantronics.com/ru/category/software/
- Turtle Beach - support.turtlebeach.com/files/
Step 3. Find the Downloads or Drivers tab
This process varies from website to website, but generally these tabs are located at the top of the home page, although in some cases you will need to click Support first.
You may need to scroll down the page and then click Support or Drivers to open the drivers page
Step 4. Download the driver files
Click on the driver name or the Download link / icon next to the driver.
- Many drivers are EXE files or batch files that also include accompanying software for the device. Older or less common drivers are packaged in ZIP archives.
- In some cases, accompanying programs need to be downloaded separately from the drivers.
Step 5. Run the driver installer
Double-click the downloaded file and follow the instructions on the screen. If you downloaded the zip file, first extract the installer by following these steps:
- Windows: Double-click the zip file, and then click Checkout> Checkout All> Checkout.
- Mac: Double click on the zip file to unzip the archive.
Step 6. Allow the drivers to be installed on your Mac
If you get an error while trying to install the driver, follow these steps:
- Click "OK" on the error message window.
- Open the Apple menu
and click "System Preferences".
- Click on "Protection and Security".
- Click "Allow" next to "System software download has been blocked" at the bottom of the window.
- Install the drivers (you may need to double-click the driver installation file to do this).
Step 7. Install the drivers manually (in Windows)
If you downloaded the drivers as a ZIP file, you will have to install them manually. This can be done using the Device Manager:
- In Device Manager, select the hardware you want to update the driver for.
- Click Action.
- Click Update Drivers.
- Click on "Search for drivers on this computer".
- Go to the unzipped folder, hold Ctrl and click on any file with the extension ".inf".
- Click "Open".