The beautiful and talented Marilyn Monroe was and remains a sex symbol. She is best known for a number of films released in the 1950s and 1960s. This woman was the creator of her own fame: she grew up in foster families and made her way to the big screen herself. If you want to look like Marilyn Monroe, you will need to think about special makeup, hairstyle and style, as well as not forget about self-confidence.
Method 1 of 3: Style Like Marilyn Monroe
Step 1. Wear Marilyn style dresses
Marilyn Monroe is known for her chic and sexy dresses, so if you want to be like her, you will need to train yourself to wear such clothes. The movie star's dresses accentuated her seductive figure, and often had deep necklines and a belt at the waist. Try the following dresses:
- Dresses with a jumper on the neck. This is Marilyn's famous outfit, known from the movie The Seven Year Itch. The dress itself is white, and it has a fluffy skirt with a ruffle petticoat that fluttered beautifully in the wind, exposing the actress's legs.
- Strapless dresses.
- Dresses with a sweetheart neckline that will accentuate your bust.
- Red dresses. Marilyn Monroe matched the color of the dress with the color of the lipstick. Dresses can be strapless, fastened around the neck, or with straps that fall off the shoulders.
- White or silvery dresses with ruffles. Marilyn loved these stylish colors. She often wore white strapless dresses and dresses with sheer sleeves and ruffles on the skirt. To make the look a little more elegant, add sequins.
- Most often, Marilyn Monroe was seen in plain dresses, but sometimes she also wore dresses with polka dots or with a pattern in red flowers. She also loved striped dresses.
Step 2. Try on a more relaxed look
Many people think that Marilyn Monroe was always dressed impeccably, but she sometimes allowed herself looser clothes. It’s impossible to dress up every day, so if you feel like you would rather spend the evening in comfortable clothes, you can try this outfit while maintaining the sexy look. Here are some ideas:
- Light Blue High Rise Jeans and White Button Down Shirt looks
- Large and tight sweater
- Jean jacket
- Plain Black Turtleneck Turtleneck
- Plain Black and White Striped Turtleneck
- Simple Red and White Striped Button Down Shirt
- Orange high neck tank top with sleeves
- Black check trousers
Step 3. Wear shoes like Marilyn
Marilyn Monroe's favorite shoe designer was Salvatore Ferragamo, but you may not wear such extravagant shoes. Just choose shoes that fit Marilyn. She often wore:
- Open toe high heels in cream or white
- Black stiletto heels with strap
- Cream ballerinas
- Regular Cream Closed Toe Shoes
- Chunky black heels
- Brown heels with white straps
- Red Sequin Stiletto Heels
- White shoes with shot glass heels
Step 4. Choose clothes in the right colors
Marilyn wore beige, brown, cream, green and white. She preferred muted champagne tones and avoided bright colors other than red. You might find it helpful to know that her favorite store was Bloomingdale's and the designer was Emilio Pucci. But in order to be like Marilyn Monroe, it is not at all necessary to wear designer outfits - similar quality items will do.
Mix colors and patterns. Wear solid colors, as well as striped and patterned items
Step 5. Use the same accessories as Marilyn
If you want to complete the look, wear accessories that will remind you of the movie star. This will allow you to keep your look concise and sexy and mysterious at the same time. Here are some examples of suitable accessories:
- Wide belt at the waist
- Thin pink scarf on the head
- Cat Eye Sunglasses
- A white fur cape worn over a dress (for a sophisticated look)
- White beach hat with wide brim
- White gloves to the elbow
Step 6. Complete the image
If you want to be like Marilyn Monroe, you have to have things in her style for all occasions. Here are a few wardrobe items to keep in mind:
- Classic Closed White Strapless Swimsuit
- Pencil skirts in different colors
- Pair of White High Waisted Slacks
- Tapered bra to mimic her 50s look with a sweater
- Wardrobe items with bows
Step 7. Wear matching jewelry
Marilyn knew that a chic look is impossible without jewelry. If you want to look like Marilyn Monroe, choose simple and classic jewelry (for example, a string of pearls or a pearl pendant, long dangling earrings, or simple stud earrings combined with a more elaborate neck decoration). It's important to look dazzling, but don't overdo it with jewelry.
- Sometimes Marilyn wore more conspicuous jewelry, such as a massive orange necklace.
- She also wore round silver bracelets from time to time.
Method 2 of 3: Hair and Makeup
Step 1. Consider going blonde
Marilyn herself was not naturally blonde. Of course, you don't have to dye your hair or believe that gentlemen prefer blondes, but you can try it if you really want to be like an actress. Dye your hair a golden color first and then style it appropriately.
Few people remember the brunette Marilyn, although in her youth she walked with brown hair and curled it into smaller and careless curls that looked very cute and natural. At one time, she even wore straight hair below her shoulders
Step 2. Get your hair cut
If you really want a Marilyn-like hairstyle, you should leave the length to the shoulders and cascade hair, leaving long strands at the back and short ones at the face. You can add volume to your hair by applying gel to it while the hair is still damp and blow-drying it piece by piece. If your hair is curly, you should first straighten it slightly.
- When your hair is dry, separate it into sections, apply hairspray to each section, and roll your hair in hot rollers. After the hair is curled, remove the curlers, comb the hair in straight strokes and sprinkle with varnish.
- Marilyn Monroe didn't have a bang, but she had a lock of hair above her forehead, which she styled in a wave.
- For curvaceous hair, lean forward, apply some lather to your hair and distribute it evenly.
- Unlike modern stars, Marilyn Monroe did not change her haircut, color and hair length every week. Her hair was usually light and wavy; they fell just below the ear in front and barely reached the back of the neck. Sometimes she experimented with length and curls: her hair was shorter and with fine curls, and sometimes it was longer with larger curls.
Step 3. Make your skin flawless
Marilyn's makeup artist, Whitney Snyder, claims that Marilyn often applied thick layers of Vaseline to her face to soften her skin and give it a glow. She also washed her face 15 times a day to prevent acne on her face, but both are extremes that can dehydrate the skin. Marilyn also used Nivea moisturizer. If you want to be like Marilyn Monroe, watch the condition of your skin.
- Marilyn Monroe had rather pale skin. If you want to replicate her look, it is better to sunbathe less, but if you have dark skin, this does not mean that you will not succeed.
- For a healthy looking complexion, apply a make-up base followed by a reflective powder to your face. Marilyn has used Anita of Denmark and Erno Laszlo cosmetics, but you should choose the cosmetics that suit your skin.
Step 4. Buy lipstick
To look like Marilyn, apply red or raspberry lipstick in multiple layers. The closest modern lipstick in tone is the "Guerlain" Kiss Kiss # 522 lipstick. Sometimes Marilyn used lipstick in a darker shade of red, sometimes lighter, peach. Find the lipstick that best suits your skin tone and is appropriate.
- Marilyn Monroe had plump and seductive lips. Line up the lips with a pencil to visually make them bigger.
- Sometimes Marilyn will accentuate the dimple on her upper lip, so you can do the same with lip liner. You can even apply some foundation on the middle of your upper lip to enhance the effect.
Step 5. Paint the eyes like Marilyn
To achieve the film star's look, you will need to apply three shades of eye shadow to your eyelids. First apply dark shadows on the outer corners, then lighter ones on the eyelid, and finally the lightest ones on the inner corners of the eyes and under the eyebrows. Marilyn often used pale blue and peach eyeshadows, and sometimes it seemed that she had no shadows at all.
- Apply at least two coats of lengthening mascara to lashes. Marilyn is known for her long eyelashes. You can even put on false eyelashes or just curl your eyelashes.
- Black eyeliner on the upper eyelid will help highlight the look. Although Marilyn did not apply eyeliner to the lower eyelid, this technique will allow you to emphasize the eyes.
Step 6. Shape your eyebrows like Marilyn
Marilyn Monroe's eyebrows were very arched and were quite far apart on her face. Her eyebrows are rather thin; they widen slightly closer to the nose and become even thinner at the edges, and they extend beyond the edges of the eyes. With tweezers, pluck the eyebrows so that they do not look like arcs, but like two lines converging at a certain angle. Fill in the brows with brown eyeliner.
Young Marilyn had a smoother curvature of her eyebrows, which is important if you want to recreate this particular look
Step 7. Draw a mole
Marilyn Monroe is known for her beautiful mole above the corner of her lips. You can draw a mole with a brown cosmetic pencil. Of course, you can buy a fake birthmark, but it's better to just draw it. Try not to touch or rub your face during the day.
Step 8. Buy nail polish
Marilyn usually matched her lipstick with nail polish. When choosing a red polish, try to find a shade that will be as close as possible to the tone of your lipstick. You can grow your nails or grow them.
Step 9. Wear Chanel No
5. This perfume was the actress's favorite perfume. Monroe says: "What do I wear to bed? Chanel No. 5, of course." She also liked Fracas and Joy perfumes.
Method 3 of 3: Self-Confidence
Step 1. Be proud of your figure
Marilyn Monroe had a figure that was considered beautiful in those days, and she was not afraid to show it off. Although her weight ranged from 52 to 63 kilograms, her parameters were usually 94-58-94 centimeters with a height of 166 centimeters and a bra size of 75D. You may have heard that today she would wear size 48-50, but in fact, she would be more suitable for 44-46. At this weight she looked perfect, but you should not try to be the same size as her - it is much better to appreciate your body and your figure.
- Stay healthy and in a good mood with 30 minutes of exercise every day, whether it's yoga or running.
- Do dumbbell exercises to strengthen your arm muscles. Every morning, not counting Sundays, Marilyn Monroe did bust exercises with one and a half pound dumbbells.
- Try eating like Marilyn to see how she ate. For breakfast, she drank a cup of hot milk with two beaten raw eggs, and for dinner she ate steak, beef, or liver with ten raw carrots. During the day, she used to snack on fruits and vegetables. After evening classes at acting school, she often indulged herself in hot chocolate and ice cream sundaes.
- Take ice baths, even if you hate the cold. This will help strengthen the body. Marilyn did this before singing John F. Kennedy's birthday song. She took such baths quite often.
- Everyone knows that Marilyn has a gorgeous figure. If you do not have expressive shapes, try to create this effect with clothing, using bras with foam rubber and corsets. For example, a belt at the waist will immediately give the illusion of an hourglass shape.
Step 2. Be sexy
Marilyn Monroe amazes everyone with her sexuality. While you don't have to put all your energy into achieving this effect, try to show yourself and flirt with others at least occasionally. This does not mean that you should wear revealing clothes - just remember that you can show your legs or shoulders from time to time. Don't be afraid to show off what you have.
- To impress people, you don't have to try to show everything you have at once. Smile, clap your eyelashes, look at the floor to appear shy, and then look directly in the eyes of the other person to demonstrate self-confidence. You need to understand yourself that you are sexy before convincing other people of this.
- Sexuality of Marilyn Monroe lies in the combination of the image of an innocent girl and the image of a sex bomb. You don't have to be too outspoken to be like her.
- Marilyn knew how to act like a fool, especially in films such as "The Seven Year Itch." Don't feel like you need to be serious at all times. Some part of Marilyn's sexuality lies in the ability to do stupid things.
- Work on your voice - it should be low, sexy and breathy. Marilyn has a very seductive voice. If you want, you can use her catchphrases like "Isn't that wonderful?" in everyday conversations.
Step 3. Believe in yourself
To complete the look, you need to show others how confident you are and how you look. Don't worry about what other people might think of you, and do what you see fit, whether it's romance with an athlete or taking tango. What matters most is who you think you are. Don't let gossip and gossip influence the way you feel about yourself.
- Add a seductive swaying of your hips to your gait and place one foot straight in front of the other as you walk. Use sign language.
- Smile, even if you're having a tough day. Try to remain optimistic, and then you will be surrounded by positive energy - just like Marilyn's. She had a difficult life, but she tried not to lose heart, despite all the difficulties.
Step 4. Don't let anyone stop you
Marilyn Monroe's mother was mentally ill and Marilyn lived with various guardians. She never saw her father. After school, she began working at a factory producing military equipment: she painted parts from aircraft, checked parachutes. Only after that was she noticed. She was married three times and all marriages were very hectic. In addition, she had many other novels, but she continued to perform, sing, dance and illuminate the stage with herself. If you want to impress everyone with your strong will to win, you need to keep going despite the difficulties.
If Marilyn had listened to those people who advised her to become a secretary, and not an actress, she would not have achieved anything. Learn to treat life like hers, and remember that there is no limit to perfection
- If you like, try lining your eyes with a dark brown or black pencil. You can also curl your eyelashes.
- The most important thing is to have high self-esteem!
- If you can't afford hot rollers, buy regular ones.
- The color suggested above may not match your skin tone. Choose a shade that works best with your skin and outline your lips with a pencil before applying lipstick. Its color must be combined with the color of the lipstick and in no case be darker.
- Marilyn often wore false eyelashes. They are not for everyone, but they will definitely help to recreate the image of a film star.
- The famous "fly" is best painted with a brown cosmetic pencil.
- Opt for simple, classic jewelry, such as pearl thread or long, voluminous earrings. Try not to overdo it with decorations. If you are wearing a necklace or pendant, match it with simple stud earrings.
- Marilyn is known, among other things, for the seductive forms of her figure, however, "curvature" can be created with the help of improvised means. All you need to do is learn how to work with clothes: push-up bras, corsets and belts will help you in this endeavor. For example, a neat belt at the waist will immediately give your figure a sexy hourglass shape.
- Try to copy the shape of Marilyn Monroe's eyebrows. Ask your beautician to subtly pluck your eyebrows and give them a high curve. After this procedure, you will be able to maintain your shape on your own by plucking out the growing hairs with tweezers. Don't forget to tint your eyebrows with a pencil to give them thickness too!
- Clap your eyelashes frequently.
- To add luxury to your look, wear diamonds (fake diamonds will work as well).
- To perfect Marilyn's look, visit this site or this site to learn more about clothing, and this site to get an idea of the right shoes.
- Overly vigorous attempts to look like Marilyn Monroe in everyday life will make you weird, not sexy.
- Just because some of the wardrobe items fit Marilyn doesn't mean they will definitely suit you.
- Don't Be Obsessed: Don't try to completely change your physical background or your personality to be like Marilyn Monroe. Instead, try to emphasize those features of yours that are already similar to those of a film star.