Ever wanted to play survival horror games but were scared? This is as it should be, because this is the whole point of these games! Nevertheless, sometimes you want to play and not be afraid of every rustle. Our tips will help you not to get scared too much!
Step 1. Choose a game
There are many games in the survival horror genre. Among the most famous are the series "Silent Hill", "Resident Evil", "Five Nights at Freddy's" and "Left 4 Dead". Lesser known but still popular titles include SCP: Containment Breach and Penumbra, the spiritual predecessor to another iconic game, Amnesia.
Step 2. Distinguish between fantasy and reality
These are just video games in which nothing threatens you. Just fiction. In the real world, there are no zombies, pyramid-headed monsters, tentacled monsters and killer robots (as far as we know). Never forget that a video game is just a video game. Remember that overuse of these games can cause paranoid thoughts, and the tension will haunt you even after you turn off your console or PC.
Step 3. Prepare to be scared
This is the whole point of the games of this genre! If a couple of times your soul has gone to heels, then the developers have done their job perfectly. If games or movies scare you so much that you are deprived of sleep for a long time or you have paranoid thoughts, you should stop playing or watching them. You should not cause yourself such discomfort or inconvenience for the sake of momentary pleasure.
Step 4. Never play late at night or in the dark
It seems obvious, but in games like this, the events take place in extremely dark environments in order to increase the level of fear and excitement of the players. Play these games in the dark when you are completely free of fear, but until then, do not turn off the lights.
Step 5. Memorize the game cliches
These can be harsh noises or a build-up of tension. Learn to determine the likelihood of such scenes, especially harsh sounds, as they often become the main aspect of scary stories like Slender. After familiarizing yourself with the main examples of such clichés, you will learn to anticipate these moments and respond correctly.
Step 6. Laugh at the monsters and characters
Use humor, even if it is artificial, to be less afraid. You can even watch on the Internet parodies of various game monsters like Pyramid Head. Sometimes it's helpful to imagine yourself stronger than monsters or objects that scare you. You can also imagine that the main character uses a colored weapon against monsters that shoots a rainbow. It may sound ridiculous, but it will help ease your paranoia or fear.
Step 7. Decrease the volume in the game
This is a very effective solution, after which any scary game or movie will become calmer. It's all about the sound. This will not help everyone, but in the absence of screams or unexpected loud noise, you will begin to perceive games and films more calmly, especially in the Silent Hill series, where music sets the mood and atmosphere. It is also important to remember about harsh sounds!
Step 8. Listen to relaxing music
Use a computer, radio, or portable devices. Music will make the game less scary. Imagine listening to fun and soothing music as you destroy the hordes of the dead. There is something comic in this, and you will relax much more than to the original soundtrack from the game. Choose the music you like.
Step 9. Play with the company
Another person's presence will make it easier for you to relax if you trust them. There will also be an opportunity to discuss the most intense moments of the game. As a last resort, play at least in the presence of your pet!
Step 10. Remember that games scare you as much as you let them
Do not play "horror" if you do not like such games, because they are played for the sake of adrenaline. This is an indescribable feeling! Accept it. If you're completely free of fear, try playing in the dark, alone and wearing headphones, for a truly immersive experience. If you have a headset, you can record a video and upload it to YouTube for a laugh and less intimidation!
- Mute the volume in the game!
- Try listening to fun and energetic songs from your favorite artists.
- Watch videos in which people play games and comment on what is happening. It's like playing with a group, and it also lets you know ahead of time what to expect from the game.
- Watch YouTube video game walkthroughs if you don't consider it a scam. It will be useful for you to know where the monsters are and how to solve puzzles.
- It's important to understand that some games are scarier than others! If you like to be scared, but not terribly, then it is better not to play projects like "Silent Hill"!
- This is just a game, and everything that happens is unreal.
- If you just want to sweat with fear, then try playing "Bioshock"! It's a scary enough game, but it doesn't compare to games like Silent Hill!
- Play with the lights on (until you are no longer afraid).
- Play with the company or multiplayer games like Killing Floor!
- Consider the age rating of the game, as your age must match and be higher than indicated. Games for adults can include adult topics (from sexuality to suicide). It is also not recommended to play "horror films" in case of heart disease.
- Someone just flinches from harsh sounds, while someone can be very frightened. Both reactions are perfectly normal. It is important to understand what exactly scares you so that it is not decided for you.
- Do not play such games with people who like to arrange a prank, as they will probably try to scare you.
- Never play in the dark with headphones on, as the inability to see and hear is doubly frightening.
- Try not to play for too long and take breaks.
- If you have a nightmare after the game, take a long break.
- If you are very shy, survival horror games may not be for you.
- In case of passion, stop playing such games and contact a specialist. You should not ignore your fear just because your friend or stranger on the Internet is not afraid of this game. Health is more important.
- Be aware that for some people, harsh noises and other aspects of horror stories can have long lasting effects. Always be mindful of your limitations and mental health. So, some may be intimidated by their own reaction to the game, while others take the situation much easier. It is important to know how you react to different situations.