Legendary Dogs, sometimes referred to as Beasts or Legendary Cats, are unique and powerful Pokémon that only appear late in the game. If you are playing the FireRed or LeafGreen version of the game, your wanderings will not be fully completed without capturing your personal Legendary Dog, but this is not as easy as it seems at first glance. Dogs are not only difficult to capture in combat, but they also randomly move around and don't sit in one place. However, a few simple tricks will help you find them in no time.
Method 1 of 3: Appearing Dogs on the World Map
Step 1. Be aware that special Legendary Dogs will appear only after certain conditions are met
Don't try to chase the dog when you are too weak to fight him. All the same, he will not join the battle, unless you are at the stage of the approaching completion of the game. You can only capture one of the dogs, depending on which Pokémon you started the game with
- Squirtle help to capture the lightning dog Raikou
- Bulbasaur can capture the fiery dog Entei
- Charmander can capture the water dog Suicune
Step 2. Defeat the Elite Four
The final bosses of the game, the Elite Four, must be defeated, after which the Legendary Dogs will appear. You can only join the battle with the Elite Four when you collect all the trainer's badges.
- You will need several Pokémon around level 50 to defeat the Elite Four, and these Pokémon must also be strong enough to capture the dogs.
- The Elite Four has a wide variety of Pokémon, and each of the 4 trainers has their own specialty that you should consider when entering the battle:
- Lorelei uses Ice Pokémon. Electric Pokémon should be used against them.
- Bruno specializes in Fighters and Stone Pokémon. Use Flying Pokémon.
- Agatha uses Poisonous Pokémon. Apply Psychic Pokémon.
- Lance uses Dragons. Use Electric and Ice Pokémon against him.
Step 3. Get your national Pokedex by catching 60 different Pokemon
After capturing or training 60 unique Pokemon, Professor Oak will hand you the National Pokedex. Subject to its presence and victory by the Elite Four, you will have a chance to find the dogs.
You must return to Professor Oak's home located at the very beginning of the game to receive the national Pokedex
Step 4. You should understand that the dogs move in random order
Unlike other Legendary Pokémon, dogs do not appear in one specific place and do not wait for you to find them. Every time you enter a building, engage in combat, or move between locations, the dogs on the map change their location, making them incredibly difficult to find. However, there are several tricks for finding them.
Method 2 of 3: Finding the Legendary Dogs
Step 1. Explore the tall grass nearby Kanto
Dogs, like other Pokémon, can be found by hiking through tall grass. Look for a route with lots of tall grass and weak Pokémon, such as Pewter City, Route 2, or Route 7, and just walk at random through the small bushes.
You can also ride your bike for faster movement
Step 2. Purchase 10-20 Max Repel
The Reflector will keep weak Pokémon from attacking you, but it will not work on Legendary Dogs. This means that the only Pokémon you will encounter will be the Legendary Dog.
The Max Repel action works for about 250 steps, after which you should use another Max Repel
Step 3. To get started, select a Pokémon level 49 or lower
Go to the Teams menu and set it up so the first Pokémon on your team is below level 50. All dogs are level 50 Pokémon, and Max Repel scares away all Pokémon below your starting Pokémon.
It is best to put level 49 Pokémon at the head of your team. Thus, you will only encounter Pokémon level 50 and above, which also includes dogs
Step 4. When looking for dogs, walk on the grass for 10-20 seconds
Remember that when you change location, the dogs move randomly each time. You can explore the same thickets of grass for several hours, but until you move to another location of the game, the dog will still remain in its place.
Step 5. Enter the premises or move to another location if you cannot find the dog
The easiest way to do this is at the house on Route 2 above Viridian City. After you have checked the nearby thickets of grass for 10-20 seconds, enter the house and immediately exit back. After that, the dog will change its location, which, we hope, will be near the thickets of grass you are exploring.
Step 6. Repeat this action, each time adding Repel, check the grass, and constantly change the location until you find the dog
Explore the grass with Max Repel in mind until the dog appears. This may take some time as the location of the dog is randomly selected. Remember that a dog can appear anywhere. You must be patient to get your chance.
Step 7. Use your Pokedex to find the dogs again if you miss the chance
As soon as you see the Legendary Dog for the first time, your Pokédex will automatically start updating the dog's location. This will make it much easier to find him if the first time you fail to capture him. Open the Pokedex, scroll down to the dog line and select the "Area" section to search for the dog.
- If you accidentally kill a dog, it will no longer appear in the game.
- Remember that the dog will start moving as soon as you get close to him. Check your Pokédex every time you enter a new location to see if it is near you
Method 3 of 3: Catching the Dogs
Step 1. Legendary Dogs are some of the most difficult Pokémon to capture
If you are strong enough, it will not be difficult for you to defeat the dogs with a team of 6 Pokémon. Dogs do not want to be caught and will try to avoid colliding with you. They are very resourceful and it will be difficult for you to keep them in battle.
All damage done to the dog will persist. If during the battle you remove half of the energy from him, and he manages to escape from you, at the next meeting the dog will still have the same half of the energy
Step 2. To be the first to hit the enemy, increase the speed of your Pokémon
If you're not fast enough, the dog will run away before you can do anything. To prevent this, make sure your first Pokémon is fast enough to attack first. You can also use "Quick Claw" to speed up a Pokémon. To hit first, your speed points must be higher than the dogs' points:
- Suicune has a speed rating of 85.
- Have Entei speed rating 100.
- Have Raikou this parameter is 115.
Step 3. Use blocking attacks to prevent the dog from escaping
Some Pokémon, such as Wobbuffet, have the Shadow Tag ability, which keeps Pokémon from fleeing the battlefield. Other Pokémon can use Mean Look, Block, and Arena Trap abilities, which keep the dog in place while the Pokémon that applied the attack is in combat.
Some attacks, such as Wrap and Fire Spin, damage opponents for several turns and keep them from fleeing. They last for 3-5 turns, after which they can be applied again
Step 4. Put the dog to sleep, freeze or paralyze him to make him easier to catch
These skills are quite difficult to implement, but if successful, they can keep the dog from escaping and make your grappling balls more effective. Try the following abilities on your opponent:
Step 5. Don't let the dog use Roar
This nasty attack is inherent in Entei and Raikou; it makes "you" flee the battlefield and lets the dogs escape. The only thing you can counter using Roar dogs against you is to paralyze or put them to sleep.
The "Taunt" attack will negate the effect of Roar, but to be effective you must use it on your first turn
Step 6. Weaken the dog with your attacks until its energy level on the left scale is less than 10%
If you kill the dog, you will no longer get a chance to capture it. Use fast, effective attacks like False Swipe and Night Shade to lower your opponent's health while not inflicting too much damage.
Never use powerful attacks - if the dog escapes before you catch him, he will appear again with the same amount of energy with which he remained after the battle with you. You should not rush and make rash moves
Step 7. Use as many Ultra Balls as possible to capture the Pokémon
With each subsequent throw of the ball at the Pokémon, the chance of capturing it increases, so do not be discouraged if the first few balls do not produce the desired effect. You can euthanize or paralyze the animal to facilitate capture.
- You may need 50 or more Ultra Balls to achieve your goal. It is better to have a large supply of balls than to regret their shortage at the most crucial moment.
- Timer Balls, which grow in power during combat, reach their peak effectiveness after 25 turns. Use your Ultra Balls to weaken the Pokémon, then throw Timer Balls in the later stages of the battle to increase their efficiency.
Step 8. First of all use your Master Ball
Using the Master Ball is the easiest way to capture a difficult Pokémon as it is impossible to dodge. As soon as you meet the dog, forget about all sorts of tricks and lowering the level of his health - immediately throw the Master Ball. This is guaranteed to capture the Legendary Dog.
But remember that you will receive one Master Ball for the whole game. However, this is one of the best ways to use it
- Make sure you have as many Ultra Balls as you can afford to wear / have.
- When you select the Squirtle Pokémon, you will meet Raikou. If you chose Charmander, Suicune will be your rival, if you chose Bulbasaur, then Entei will be on your way. Keep this in mind when assembling your legendary team of catchers.
- Paralysis, Sleep and Poison will make Pokémon more vulnerable to capture.
- You must first defeat the Elite Four.
- Try to stick to Route 1 and use the Wynaut / Wobbuffet and their Shadow Tag skill to find and capture the dog.
- During searches, constantly save the game, as there is a chance to accidentally kill the dog.
- Try not to poison or burn your dog, as the wounds from these attacks can knock him out.
- If you find a Pokemon and try to save, then this trick will not work for you. After loading the save, the Pokémon will be in a completely different location.
- Save your game before starting the fight with the Legendary Dog in case he faints or uses Roar during the battle.