In the Pokemon series, your character must capture and train creatures called Pokemon in order to complete the game. Pokemon Emerald is one such game, and Digging is an ability that can be taught to your Pokemon. Underground (or TM28) is an earthen-type ability that can be used to overcome certain obstacles and return to the beginning of dangerous locations such as caves and dungeons. Each game has its own way to get this ability.
Method 1 of 3: Using TM
Step 1. Travel to Fallarbor
This city is located in the northwestern part of the Hohenn region. This is a small farming community with a Contest Hall. West of the city is Route 114. Go there and find the Fossil Maniac's home.
Step 2. Talk to the fossil lover's brother
Inside the house, you will meet a character who will be waiting for you. This is the fossil lover's brother. You will get the TM28 (Underground) ability if you talk to him.
Get this ability as early as possible. If you miss this moment, then in order to get the Digging ability, you will have to find and pump a Pokemon who can learn this ability himself
Step 3. Use TM28 (Dig) on any Pokémon
It is advisable to teach this ability to a Pokémon that you often use. Thus, when you train or travel to dangerous places, for example, in caves, tall grass and in dungeons, you can use the Underground to return to the entrance to the location. If you want, you can give this ability to a Pokémon, which you are not going to use often, so as not to waste valuable cells for abilities, since each Pokémon can have no more than five abilities at a time.
TM are one-time abilities. That is, if you trade a Pokémon that you have endowed with the TM28 ability, you will no longer be able to train another Pokémon with it. In this case, you will have to pump a Pokemon in which this ability is innate
Method 2 of 3: Catching and leveling a Pokémon
Step 1. Find a Pokémon that has the Digging ability
If you missed the opportunity to get this ability, you will have to find, catch and pump a Pokémon, which, as the level grows, has the ability to Dig. There are two Pokemon in Pokemon Emerald that can learn this ability. This is Nincada and Trapinch.
Step 2. Find the best place to find these Pokémon
Some Pokémon are found throughout the game, while others can only be found in certain locations. However, both Ninkanda and Trapincha can be found in the Hohenn region. To find these Pokémon, you need to do the following:
- Take Route 116 to find Ninkada. This Route is located in the western part of Hohenn. It connects the city of Rustborough and the Rusturf Tunnel. Walk around this location until you accidentally meet Ninkada.
- Head to Route 111 or the Haunted Tower to find Trapinch. Route 111 is in the Hohenn region. It connects the city of Movil with Route 112. The Ghost Tower spawns randomly in the desert on Route 111. Walk around this location until you accidentally meet Trapinch.
Step 3. Catch the Pokemon
Pokémon have strengths and weaknesses. Use them to your advantage when you catch Ninkada and Trapinch. The main thing is not to inflict too much damage on them, otherwise the Pokemon will lose consciousness and you will have to look for a new one.
- Ninkada is a small insect Pokemon with very good defenses. He is weak against attacks of the flying, fire, water and ice types. Ninkada has resistance against attacks of combat, poisonous and earthen types.
- Trapinch is also an insect Pokemon, but with a good attack. It is weak against water, grass, and ice attacks. He has resistance against attacks of poisonous and stone types.
- When Nincada or Trapinch are weakened by your attacks and have lost most of their health, start throwing Pokeballs at them to catch them. Before heading out to catch these Pokémon, stock up on the very best Poké Balls.
- If you find that your Pokémon are too strong and do too much damage to Ninkada and Trapinch, use abilities that Ninkada and Trapinch have resistance against. This will help reduce the damage they take. This way, minor damage can be dealt until the Pokémon are weakened enough to be captured.
Step 4. Upgrade your Pokemon
You will have to pump Nincada to level 45 before she has the ability to Dig. Trapinch for this should be pumped to level 41. This means that you will have to fight with non-player trainers, randomly encountered Pokémon, use special items (for example, Rare Candy) to level up, or leave Pokémon in kindergarten, where they will be pumped for you.
Method 3 of 3: Cheat Cartridge
Step 1. Buy a cartridge with cheat codes
The most popular cheat cartridge is GameShark, but you can buy another to get the Diggle ability. Since you will be using the cartridge to modify the game data, you can spoil or permanently damage the game data.
- You can buy cheat cartridges at most video game stores and electronics retailers. You can also buy them online or install a cheat program that can be used for games that run through an emulator.
- If you are going to use a GameShark cartridge, make sure to purchase version 2.1 or higher. Earlier versions do not work with games in color.
Step 2. Load the game through the cheat cartridge
When the code manager appears, you can enter the code. Search the internet for a list with the codes for your cartridge. These codes can be entered into the dispatcher to obtain items (for example, TM28 to get the Dig ability) or add a Pokémon that can get the Dig ability.
Some cheat cartridges are full of bugs or poorly tuned for certain games, in which case you will need to insert the game into the cheat cartridge several times to make it work
Step 3. Enter the required code
The code used depends on whether you want to get the Diggle ability through TM or a Pokémon that can learn it. Be careful when entering the code. One missed or wrong character can lead not only to a failed attempt, but also to the deletion / corruption of the game data. Here are some codes you might find useful:
- Code for receiving TM28: 82005274 013C
- Code for getting Ninkada: DA8A6B45 37694831
- Tripinch code: E3F01278 4A26A70E
- Some codes are only for some cheat cartridges. The above codes should work for most cartridges.
Step 4. Start the game
You may need to restart the game and disconnect it from the cheat cartridge, or start the game with the cheat cartridge still connected. It all depends on the cheat cartridge itself. When you start the game, you will see how TM28 appears in your inventory, or a new Pokemon appears in your group. Or maybe you made changes to random encounters with Pokémon, and now you can find the Pokémon you need in locations where they cannot be found.