Convincing your parents to buy you a PlayStation is not an easy task. It is important to choose the right time to talk and communicate your desire directly. Video games have a number of virtues that can be turned into compelling arguments. Also tell your parents how they can use the PlayStation for personal use. Prove yourself to be a responsible person and make a compelling case for your parents to agree to your request.
Part 1 of 4: Direct Approach
Step 1. Make a plan
Before talking with parents, you should understand the issue. Check prices in various stores. Often parents refuse their children due to the high cost of the game console. Finding a PlayStation at a lower price makes it a little easier to persuade your parents. Also, consider your words.
- Subscribe to store emails to stay informed about sales and discounts. You can wait for the price reduction and then contact your parents with a request. Strive to find the best deals.
- Think ahead. Write down why you want a PlayStation and why you think you deserve such a gift. Asking your parents to make a high-value purchase is a big deal, so it's best to plan. Emphasize your high school performance and your obedience and willingness to help around the house. Explain to them how great it is to be able to play on their own console.
Step 2. Choose the right time
Your chances of a positive answer will increase if you talk to your parents at the right time. The PlayStation is a big purchase, so parents will have a lot of questions. If the parents are busy with something, making such a request is not a good idea.
- Choose a moment when you and your parents are not busy with anything. For example, on the way home from school or after dinner.
- First ask if the moment is right. Children may not always notice that parents are busy with business or their own thoughts. For example, say, “Mom, I want to ask you something. Is now the right time? "
Step 3. Explain the nature of the request and the reason
Let your parents know why you want a PlayStation gift. Speak directly and emphasize how much you dream of a console. Now is not the time to beat around the bush. State the request and explain the reasons.
- Get down to business right away. Say something like, “I've been dreaming of a PlayStation for a long time. How do you look to think about it? "
- Your parents love you and will want to understand. They probably don't want to quarrel either. Explain to them why you want a PlayStation so badly. Choose reasons that your parents can understand. “I think it's fun,” is a very weak argument. Better to say, “I try very hard in school and also in extra classes. I think that a new hobby will not hurt me. "
- Try to convince your parents that you won't be playing all day long. For example, say, “I promise to do my homework first and then play. If necessary, I agree to play only a couple of hours a day. "
Step 4. No need to argue or cry
Parents can say no. The PlayStation is an expensive purchase and parents have the right to refuse. Arguing or whimpering will only make your parents angry. They will think that you are behaving immature. This will not convince anyone. If you refuse, say, “I understand your concern. Better to talk about it another time."
Step 5. Try to understand the parent's point of view
If your parents say no or express doubts, try putting yourself in their shoes. Parents will highly appreciate such an adult act. They will also try to understand your point of view.
- Listen carefully to the arguments and concerns of your parents. Perhaps they are worried about the violence in video games. Maybe they are worried that you will play instead of studying. Many parents strongly believe that video games are harmful to children. Such doubts are very common.
- Respond to your parents' concerns with courtesy. Try to convince them that such problems will not arise. For example, your parents are concerned about the level of violence in video games. You might reply: “I perfectly understand your concern. You will know about all the games I play. And if something doesn’t suit you, then I will choose another game”.
Step 6. Accept the waiver temporarily
In case of refusal, you need to accept such an answer. There is no point in arguing and complaining, so as not to upset the parents. Show respect for this decision to show yourself as a mature person. Most likely, it will calm them down. After a few months, try to return to the question. Say, “I remember your answer, but I still dream about the PlayStation. I ask you to think about it again."
Part 2 of 4: The indirect approach
Step 1. Write a letter
Oftentimes, asking directly can be overwhelming. If your parents tend to quickly stop these conversations, then write a letter. State your request along with your reasons. Also give your opinion on why you deserve to receive such a gift.
- At the beginning of the letter, state your desire directly. For example: "Dear Mom and Dad, I would really like to have a PlayStation." Explain the reasons for this desire. So, you can use different arguments: “I try to study well and attend extra classes. In the evenings, after all my homework, I would like to be able to play on the console to relax. "
- Perhaps you have a trick up your sleeve? For example, you have saved up a certain amount of money. In this case, write: "I collected almost 6,000 rubles and am happy to spend this money as part of the amount for the purchase of the PlayStation."
- Also try to anticipate possible parental objections and prepare counter-arguments. For example, your mom will worry that games are taking too long. In this case, write: “You probably think that I will spend all my time on games. If you agree to buy me a PlayStation, then I will play for as long as you give me permission. "
- Write a polite ending. Thank your parents for reading your letter. Ask for your answer. For example: “I hope you think about it. Thank you for reading my letter. Please tell me your opinion. I love you, Dima. "
Step 2. Add the PlayStation to your wishlist
Use a holiday or birthday as an excuse to ask for PlayStation. A special occasion can convince parents. For the holidays, parents buy gifts for children, so let us know about your desire. In case of concern, promise to play moderately on the console and leave the final choice of games to the parents.
Step 3. Get your parents interested in the capabilities of the PlayStation
Many games are intended for adults. Often they love to play games as much as children. Multiplayer games, strategy games and puzzles may well be of interest to parents. Mention such games at dinner. Say the following: “Did you know that Maxim's dad also plays? I thought it odd at first, but there are a lot of adult games on the PlayStation."
- Show your parents games like Assassin's Creed IV, Journey, Grand Theft Auto V, and The Last of Us.
- Ask your adult relatives to tell their parents that they also play video games.
- The PlayStations game console allows you to use the Internet. Inform about the ability to browse sites on TV. For example, say, "How wonderful it would be to watch all of your favorite YouTube videos on your living room TV."
- Did your parents have any favorite video games as a child? Try to find new versions of these games on your PlayStation. Parents will surely be happy to plunge into pleasant memories from childhood. Many older games like Mario are still popular today.
Part 3 of 4: Introduce Parents to Video Games
Step 1: Tell the whole family about games
It is important to have a good time with the whole family. This will allow you to bond with your parents. The PlayStation platform offers many games for the whole family. The main theme of these games is finding answers to riddles, playing musical instruments, solving puzzles and puzzles. Make a list of family games to show to parents. Say that playing these games together will be beneficial for everyone.
- Lists of such games can be found online. Usually the age group is indicated on the games. Look for games that will be fun for all family members. If you have a 7-year-old brother, then choose games for the age of 7 years.
- Consider the interests of your family. If you like a particular movie, then it may turn out that the movie was made into a game.
Step 2. Show games for different ages
Many parents do not want to buy a PlayStation game console for their children, because they believe that all games contain scenes of violence. If you have younger brothers or sisters, then the doubts of the parents can only increase. Find games for the right age group. Tell them that you will play these games.
- Cars, Peggle, Just Dance 3 and Eye Pet are great for kids ages 3-6.
- Skylanders Giants, Epic Mickey 2, Lego Star Wars and ModNation Racers will appeal to kids 7-11 years old.
- Rocksmith, F1 Race Stars and DJ Hero will appeal to kids aged 12-15.
Step 3. Introduce PlayStation as a Blu-Ray disc player
The PlayStation game console is capable of playing Blu-Ray discs. Some PlayStation models can be connected to a Wi-Fi network to use services like Netflix. If you report these advantages of the set-top box, parents may well be interested and consider buying.
Today, almost all films are sold on Blu-Ray discs
Step 4. Tell your parents about the benefits of video games
Video games don't have the best reputation, but they are actually useful with moderate use. There is evidence that video games can improve hand-eye coordination, multitasking, and the ability to focus on one thing. It should be understood that the number of such studies is limited, and among other results, the negative effects of video games are often reported. Try to convince your parents with other reasons first.
Part 4 of 4: Prove yourself to be a responsible person
Step 1. Run errands around the house
Your parents will be more supportive if you act like a responsible person. Do housework. Keep your bedroom clean. Take good care of things so that your parents are convinced of your responsibility and accuracy before purchasing a PlayStation for you.
- Always make your bed in the morning. Put dirty items in the basket before bed.
- Don't throw toys, books, and other items around.
- Remember to vacuum the room every week.
- If you have other ongoing responsibilities (such as walking the dog or washing the dishes), then do them without complaint. Your parents will notice your zeal and, perhaps, will thank you with a gift.
Step 2. Offer a co-payment
Tell your parents that you are ready to do your bit for the PlayStation purchase. If you offer to pay a portion of the cost, the parents may agree to the purchase.
- You are working? Set aside some of the money from each paycheck on the console. If you save 1,000 rubles a week, then in a few months you will have 6,000-10,000 rubles.
- Offer parents a cash reward system for chores. Make a to-do list with quotations. For example, cleaning the yard - 100 rubles, cleaning the bathroom - 50 rubles, washing floors throughout the house - 80 rubles. Try to make money on a game console.
- Save your holiday money and pocket money. Try selling old toys or consoles at a garage sale or online to save up some money on your PlayStation.
Step 3. Follow the rules
Be sure to obey your parents. Show that you will obey other rules regarding the use of the PlayStation.
- Don't spend a lot of time at your computer, tablet, or smartphone. Show that you are only using the available technology for its intended purpose. Parents will make sure that you are a responsible enough person. For example, don't text messages during dinner if your parents are against using your smartphone at the table.
- In the evenings, return home no later than the set time.
- Find opportunities to help out around the house. Even if you weren't tasked with cleaning the dishes, your mom will probably be delighted with this help after a busy day at work.
Step 4. Track your progress
Parents may worry that the console will cause bad grades in school, so try to do well. Show yourself a responsible student. This will increase your chances of getting a PlayStation.
- Stick to a schedule to complete all your homework. Write tasks in your diary. Complete assignments immediately after lessons to show your initiative.
- Talk to your teacher if you have difficulty with a subject. Find out about extra classes and tutoring. Let your parents know if you need help.
- Prepare for self-study and quizzes in about a week so that you never have to learn everything on the last evening.
- Begin to show yourself as a mature and responsible person long before the request.
- Pick a moment when your parents are in good spirits and not busy.
- Prepare the necessary information and communicate the benefits of video games, willingness to pay part of the amount and the reasons why you are responsible enough to play on the console.
- The right moment is very important. Try asking before a birthday or other holiday.
- If you bought a PlayStation, then behave responsibly. Don't make your parents regret your decision.
- Respect any parent's decision, especially a second rejection. Sometimes parents simply cannot afford such an expensive purchase.
- Gaming companies release new consoles every few years, so do your research before buying. Make sure the attachment stays up-to-date for a long time.