League of Legends is a strategic and fun online MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) game. It features over 100 champions and each one has different skills.
Step 1. Choose a champion
You can test different champions every week. Choose your style.
- There are several roles that you can play in the League. Shooter (ADC / Attack Damage Carry), Mage (APC / Might Carry Abilities), Tank, Support (Support) and Jungler (Forester). Everyone has an important role to play in the game.
- The shooter attacks from a certain distance, dealing physical damage. Arrows are accompanied by support characters.
- The mage, or APC, attacks and deals magic damage using a variety of spells.
- The tank is the "front line" for the team. They raise their armor, meaning that they take less damage and are more enduring.
- Supports help the ADC. Whether a support has a slow, a stun (called crowd-control or CC), or an ability to heal ADC, they are very useful in the lane phase and are very important. ADC depends on the support, as the second must "feed" him (a lot of kills to be more useful in the late game).
- Junglers move across the map from camp to camp, and clear them. At the same time, they can gank (ambush the opposing team to kill) for their team, and also earn kills for themselves or those they gank. Good junglers know routes, buffs, have good map awareness and know when to gank.
Step 2. Learn the mechanics
Mechanics are how the game works and how champions work. Do a little research on each role so you know how to counter it. It is also a good idea to be aware of the enemy, and study your limitations. '
- Learn to farm. Pharming is very important in the League; it generates income for which you buy items, and items win games. It is sometimes difficult to finish off, especially when you are harrassed (inflicted damage, not fatal, but annoying) opponents.
- Explore map awareness. Look at the minimap often. Try to do this every 5 seconds. Having map awareness can sometimes avoid ganking. If you see someone approaching, knowing their champion and how he works (as well as the opponent's champion) can help you stay alive. Get in the habit of looking at the map.
- Learn to juke. This means going into the vegetation, becoming invisible, etc., waiting for the champion who is looking for you, and leaving in a different way. This may sound daunting at first, but it can keep you alive and increase the distance between you and opponents.
Step 3. Study the champion you want to play
- For example, you play Annie, learn what her Q, W, E, and R do, her passives, her builds, and how she can initiate or leave a fight.
- Q - for most champions, a thing that deals damage (like Caitlyn's Q - Piltover Peacekeeper)
- W - for most champions, usually gives a boost (like Varus' W - Corrupted Quiver)
- E - For most champions, this is utility or low damage. For ADC - adds damage. For Mages, this can be a shield or a boost. Depends on the champion you are playing.
- R, or Ultimate, is the most useful ability for every champion. She gives them a boost, she gives them more damage, can heal, stun, etc., and she also has a long recharge.
- Champion passives are very useful, use more of them.
Step 4. Learn to use your abilities to achieve the greatest excellence
Decide what each ability does to your champion. Learn combos (ways to use your champion, hoping to drop or even kill your opponent in one fell swoop).
Step 5. Look for builds
See which items work best with your champion. Look for builds on the Internet, and also ask your friends in the League.
Step 6. Determine who is countering (opposing) your champion and vice versa
You can search the internet for opposing champions. Just learn them to learn how to counter choices.
Step 7. Use runes and mastery
Runes and Mastery are small boosts to help you early on in the game. You don't need runes until you reach at least level 20 (so don't buy them until level 20), and you will receive mastery points for each level (up to 30). See which runes and mastery work best for your champion.
Step 8. Play as your champion as often as possible
It won't be easy for you to master the champion. You will have to invest time and energy in it. You will need knowledge of your champion, the enemy champion, and their abilities.
- Learn from mistakes. You won't become a pro player by reading a couple of guides. The best way to learn is to do. Spot your mistakes and do your best next time.
- Try new things with your champion. Find new builds, play new games, etc.
- Every week RiotGames does a "Champion Rotation" which means 10 different champions are added to the roster for selection and don't need to be purchased.
- Look at the pros. Watch how they play as champions and what tricks they use.
- Ranking games are a good way to learn. Many people get distracted in regular games (in ranked ones too, but this is a more serious and competitive type of game)
- Please note that League of Legends is completely free. You don't need to spend money if you don't want to. To "buy" items in the game, you need to play and earn influence points. They will allow you to buy runes, champions, etc.
- Never try a champion for the first time in a ranked game.
- League of Legends is a VERY toxic game. There are a lot of psychos in her. Before the game begins, tell your team that you are just trying to learn how to play your champion.