Spotify is an audio streaming service that allows you to listen to the music of several independent and major record companies such as Warner Music Group, Universal, The Orchard, EMI Music, and Sony, and is protected by copyright protection. The service is available on a variety of devices including Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android and Windows Mobile. To keep your Spotify music with you, sync it across all your devices.
Part 1 of 3: Download and Install Spotify
Step 1. Download the desktop version of Spotify
Launch a browser on your PC or Mac and visit the Spotify website.
The "Download" button is located in the upper right corner of the page, just to the left of the "Login" button
Step 2. Click Download
Once on the download page, you will be able to log in with Facebook or register using your email address.
- If you already have an account, use the link at the bottom of the page to sign in. Scroll down and sign in.
- Click Sign In to sign in with your Facebook account or enter your email address.
Step 3. Install Spotify on your computer
When you log in, Spotify will automatically download to your chosen download folder.
When the download is complete, launch the setup wizard and follow the onscreen instructions to install Spotify on your computer
Step 4. Download Spotify from App Store or Google Play Store
Open the App Store if you are using an iOS device, or Google Play Store if you prefer Android.
Search for Spotify in the app store and install it
Part 2 of 3: Sync iPod touch, iPhone and Android
Step 1. Launch the desktop version of Spotify on your Mac or PC
When you start the application, you will be prompted to log in with your account.
- Once Spotify launches, log in with your Facebook account or by entering your email address and password.
- To avoid having to enter your credentials each time you log in, check the "Remember me" option.
Step 2. Make sure Spotify is connected to the internet
Spotify should automatically connect to the same network your computer is currently connected to.
- If for some reason the connection fails, a bar will appear at the top of the screen asking you to restart Spotify.
- Close the application and make sure the computer is connected to the network. Once the connection is restored, start Spotify again.
Step 3. Launch the Spotify mobile app on your smartphone
When Spotify launches on your smartphone, sign in with your Facebook account or email address.
- Sign in to your mobile device in the same way as on your computer.
- Example: If on a computer you are logged in with Facebook, then on a mobile device, also log in with Facebook.
Step 4. Choose which device you want to sync with the desktop app
Scroll down the Devices list on the left side of the window until you find the device you want.
Step 5. Check the playlists that need to be synchronized for offline listening
To save playlists on your phone, turn on Available Offline for them.
- If your phone doesn't show up in the desktop app, make sure it hasn't gone into standby and that Spotify is turned on on both your phone and computer.
- Make sure your computer and phone are connected to the same wireless network.
- You may need to log out and / or restart your devices for the phone to appear on the list.
Part 3 of 3: Sync with Spotify to iPod
Step 1. Make sure iTunes is not currently running on your Mac or PC
If it is, exit the application before continuing to sync your iPod.
Step 2. Connect your iPod to your computer using a USB cable
When you connect your iPod, iTunes may launch automatically. If so, wait for iTunes to load and then close the application again.
Step 3. Select your iPod from the "Devices" list of the Spotify desktop application
Your device will be located on the left side of the Spotify window with a list of playlists.
Step 4. Click "Sync this iPod with Spotify"
This will transfer your Spotify music to your device.
- Note that the first time you sync your iPod with Spotify, your current music, movies, audiobooks, and TV shows will be erased. Be sure to save these files in a separate location before syncing.
- If you want to mark only some of the playlists to sync with your iPod, select the option "Select playlists to sync manually" on the page with devices.