Create your own website using Google Sites to kickstart your internet presence. Google offers simple tools for creating and editing a personal or business website to help you take your first steps in expressing yourself or promoting your business.
Method 1 of 4: Design Your Site
Step 1. Decide on your target audience
Your audience is the people you want to attract to your website. If it is too wide, your site will lack "focus". If the audience is too specific, then your website will only occupy a very small niche.
Step 2. Find out what your audience wants
Does she expect operational information from you? Or is she looking for a specific product or service you provide?
Step 3. Decide for yourself what you want to achieve with the site
You want certain specific plans to come true, and you want to avoid certain other events. What steps do you need to achieve your goals?
Step 4. Be realistic
You will be able to do only so much and no more, and you will have so much time to maintain the website. Bring additional capabilities based on how important they are to achieving your goals. Consider the amount of time you have and the staff you can dedicate to the task.
Step 5. Consider how you will structure the information on your site
- Make the site easy to track changes.
- Only create pages that offer something of value. Don't create additional navigation pages.
- Make sure your pages actually deliver what their visitors are looking for. If your page is titled “Job Application Form,” make sure it contains the Job Application Form in a downloadable or printable form.
- Keep your site running fast. You might think that a top-notch Flash video will make your site more attractive, but the same video can distract attention and slow page loading. Strike a balance of visuals and speed to keep your visitors coming back for more.
Step 6. Think over the visual design
- Avoid using colors or design elements that make the information difficult to read. Readability is our top priority.
- Avoid navigation icons unless they are generally accepted. Use text to make sure everyone can understand the purpose of your navigation buttons.
- Use a simple layout. Avoid borders or other visual clutter.
- Colors and graphics should express the personality of your site.
Method 2 of 4: Sign in to Google
Step 1. Open your web browser and go to the Google Sites Homepage
Step 2. Log in using your Google Account username and password
If you do not have a Google account, click the red button in the upper right corner of the page that says "Register".
- Fill in the required fields at the top of the Create Account page.
- Scroll down and fill out the section titled “Start Using Google Sites”. Once you're done, click on "Create my account".
Method 3 of 4: Build Your Website
Step 1. Click the Create button on the Google Sites start page
Step 2. Select a template or click on "View more templates in the gallery"
Browse the suggested website templates until you find one that suits your project's needs.
Step 3. Enter the name of your site
The title should accurately reflect the essence and be unique to your topic.
- Try to come up with something as succinct and memorable as a nameplate or a named phone number that will be easy to remember.
- Google will automatically provide a URL, or Internet address, for your site. Change the URL if you want to use something other than the auto-generated URL.
Step 4. Select a theme from the ones offered in the menu
A theme is a collection of colors and background images that appear on your website.
Step 5. Enter the word generated by Google
This step is needed to confirm that you are indeed the person creating the website.
Method 4 of 4: Edit Your Site
Step 1. Click on the pencil image at the top of the page to edit your main page
- A toolbar will appear that will allow you to add text to your website.
- To add images or other visual effects, click the "Insert" tab of the menu bar and follow the instructions.
- Click on the HTML button on the right to edit your site using HTML.
- To add a Google Adsense or Google+ badge, click on "Edit Sidebar".
Step 2. Click on the image of the sheet of paper with the "+" sign displayed on it to add a new page
Step 3. Click "Share" when you are done with the site
This will allow you to send URLs to the email addresses of your friends so that they can see the result of your work.