Torrents are one of the most popular ways to share files on the Internet. You can find almost any game on various torrent trackers on the internet. Installing a game downloaded using a torrent client is a little more difficult than installing a purchased game, since you need to hack the game's copy protection. Always read the README file that comes with the downloaded files.
Part 1 of 2: Download the torrent
Step 1. Download and install a torrent client
These clients allow you to download torrent files. Torrent files are very small, but they are used to find and download the game you want from computers of other users. Popular torrent clients include:
Step 2. Find the torrent file for the game you need
This can be done on numerous torrent trackers. Make sure the torrent file has many positive comments; otherwise, the file may contain a virus.
Find a torrent with a large number of seeds (these are the users who are giving away the game you want). The more seeds there are, the faster you will download the game
Step 3. Download the torrent file and open it in a torrent client
Torrent files are lightweight and download in just a couple of seconds. This happens because the torrent file contains a minimum of information necessary to find and download the game you need from the computers of other users (in parts that are connected at the end of the download).
- Downloaded torrent files should automatically open in the torrent client; if this did not happen, click on the file to start downloading it in the client, or click on the torrent file and in the context menu "Open with" in the list of programs select the required torrent client.
- It is legal to only download torrents of games that you own.
- Read the article "How to Download Torrents"
Step 4. Wait for the game to download
This may take a while, especially if the game is very large or does not have many seeds. Read this article to learn how to speed up your torrent downloads.
Part 2 of 2: Install the game
Step 1. Download and install the archiver program (if necessary)
Many files downloaded using torrents are downloaded as archives (for example, RAR files). To install the game, the archive must be unpacked using an archiver, for example, 7-Zip.
Step 2. As a rule, games are downloaded as an EXE or ISO file
You can run the EXE file immediately to install the game. An ISO file is a disc image that must either be burned to a physical CD / DVD or mounted to a virtual drive.
- Read the article "How to Burn ISO File to DVD".
- Read the article "How to mount an ISO image".
Step 3. Read the README file
This is a text file that comes with the game and contains detailed instructions for installing the game. Be sure to read this file as different games are installed differently.
Step 4. Run the game installer
To do this, either run the EXE file, or mount / burn the ISO file and run the installation of the game from the disc. Generally, you can start the installation of the game in the same way as you do with purchased games, but still read the README file and follow the instructions in it.
Step 5. Run the program for cracking the game
Most downloaded games are copy protected. In order to bypass this protection, you will need to enter a key or run a program to hack the game. Typically, torrenting games are bundled with such programs, but the hacking process varies from game to game. Again, see the README file.
- To run some games, you need to replace the main EXE file in the folder with the installed game with a cracked EXE file.
- For some games, you need to run keygen - a program that generates keys that you can enter as a serial number and unlock the game.
- Some games come with a small EXE file that you need to run once to unlock the game.
- In rare cases, you may be prompted to edit the configuration files. You will find instructions in the README file.
Step 6. Enjoy the game
Follow the instructions in the README file to start the game. You may need to adjust the game settings according to your preferences.