Love movies but don't have the means to buy them? If so, you still have the opportunity to watch them, because the films can be downloaded for free. Read this article to find out how.
Method 1 of 3: Part One: Finding Free Movies
Step 1. Use a torrent search engine
It will display many results containing the keywords you entered and provide links to the corresponding torrent files.
- Enter the title of the movie into a search engine. If you don't know the exact name, you can enter a keyword. Click the Search button and view the list of results.
- If you see a headline that might match your request, click on it and you will be taken to the page with that movie.
- Here are some popular torrent trackers:
- Pirate Bay:
Step 2. Browse through collections of legal and free movies
For safety reasons, look out for online collections of reputable legal free movies. In addition to being safe and legal, these collections offer you many options for watching and downloading movies, so you can download a good movie without using torrents.
- In most of these collections, you will be prompted to download a torrent file or another type of file. For example, you may be prompted to download a movie in Flash Video or Ogg Video format.
- Please note that such films are licensed under Creative Commons, which means that they belong to the public domain and can be legally viewed and downloaded by anyone.
- Here are some online movie collections worth noting:
- The Internet Archive; contains many old, foreign and documentary films. Follow the link:
- Emol; contains comedies and cartoons. Follow the link:
- PublicDomainTorrents; mostly contains B rated movies, but there are old classic movies as well. Follow the link:
- AtomFilms; collection of custom movies. Follow the link:
- Once a Week Online Film Festival; an online film festival that is updated every week. Follow the link:
- Culture Unplugged Studios; contains full-length documentaries. Follow the link:
Step 3. Watch movies online
While this does not apply to downloading movies, there are many sites that will allow you to watch movies online. What's more, it often takes a long time to download movies, while watching online is much faster.
- You will need a fast internet connection to watch movies online. If you have a slow connection or frequent interruptions, chances are you won't be able to watch a movie normally; you will have to constantly refresh the page, or wait for the movie to be buffered.
- Here are some popular and trusted sites for watching movies online:
- Hulu Movies; many movies are only available with a paid Hulu Plus subscription, but there are free options as well. Hulu Plus also has a free trial. Follow the link:
- YouTube movies; Some movies have to be paid to watch, but most are free. Follow the link:
- Crackle; all films are free and unedited, and a large number of them are available. You will not find new products on this site, but you can find some popular films from several years ago. Follow the link:
- Indie Movies Online; the films are produced by independent directors, but you can find familiar among them if you study the collection well. Follow the link:
- Snag Films; all films are free, from documentaries to films from the Sundance Festival. Follow the link:
- Popcorn Flix; There are a large number of free movies available, and many of them are adapted for viewing on mobile devices. Follow the link:
Method 2 of 3: Part Two: Using Torrents
Step 1. What are torrents
The torrent protocol allows users to exchange large files with each other by dividing them into many parts. These parts are put together using a torrent program after the file has finished downloading.
- The advantage of torrents is that if your connection drops, you can continue downloading later from the same location.
- Torrent trackers (databases) also track your activity - whether you share your files, or just download from other users. The more you share, the more traffic you get. The less you share, the less traffic you get.
Step 2. Download the torrent client
The torrent program is a must, as it will allow you to download all parts of the file.
- Torrent files downloaded from the Internet are just links to the movie file. You will need a special program (torrent client) to use such files and download movies from these links.
- Here are some popular torrent clients:
- ABC (Another Bittorent Client):
Step 3. Save the torrent file to your computer
After you have found the torrent file using the methods described in the Finding Free Movies section, click Save / Download to save the torrent file to your computer. This file will load quickly, but it is not a movie file.
- If you use a public torrent tracker like isoHunt, check the ratings and comments for the movie before downloading it. This will help you to know about possible problems with the file upload.
- Another way to check the reliability of a file is to check the number of successful downloads. The higher the number, the more likely the file is trustworthy.
- By saving a torrent file from the Internet, you are saving a text file. This file points to the movie you are about to download, and only a torrent client can open it and download the required movie file.
Step 4. Open the torrent file using a torrent client
Using your torrent client, locate the torrent file on your computer and open it. After that, the download of the movie will start.
- When you open the file, the program reads the instructions that are in it and locates the movie file to download.
- The process of opening a file is different for each torrent client, but usually it is enough to click File - Open in the program and select the saved torrent file.
- Note that you also need to determine the location on your computer where the movie file will be downloaded. Otherwise, it will be downloaded to the standard downloads folder.
Step 5. Wait for the download to finish
The download duration depends on the file size and the speed of your internet connection. You need to wait for the download to finish before you can watch the movie.
This can take a couple of hours if you have a good internet connection; downloading requires a lot of traffic. If you have low traffic or a slow connection, it can take up to two days to download a full-length movie
Method 3 of 3: Part Three: Viewing Downloaded Movies
Step 1. Watch the movie on your computer
This is the easiest step. To do this, you only need a program that opens video files.
- Convert the file if necessary. If your program opens a movie file in the format in which it was downloaded, you do not need to convert it. Otherwise, you will need to convert the movie file to a different file format for the program to recognize it.
- To convert video to another format, you need a converter program. Many converter programs are free or shareware, but when downloading any, make sure that it has positive user reviews. Prefer reviews on third-party websites over software websites.
- Make sure the converter program you choose can convert the file to a format that will play on your computer.
Step 2. Connect your computer to your TV
If you want to watch a movie on your TV, you will need a special cable that is compatible with your computer and TV. This will allow you to run the movie on your computer and play it on your TV.
Typically this is an S-cable. Make sure your computer and TV have the correct ports to work with this cable
Step 3. Watch movies on another device
If you don't want to watch the movie on your computer, you will need to convert the movie file to a format compatible with your device. After that, you will need to transfer it to your device.
- Watch movies on your phone and other portable devices. After converting the file to a format compatible with your device, you can copy the movie to your smartphone, iPod, or PSP and watch it whenever you want.
- Burn your movie to DVD. If you have a DVD drive and burning software, you can burn a copy of the movie to a DVD and watch it on your TV.
- Illegal downloading of licensed films can lead to serious consequences, including heavy fines and even jail time. It is highly recommended to download only legal movies.
- When downloading a torrent from an unverified source, check its rating. If there are no comments or they are bad, the file may contain a virus or malware.