BitTorrent is a program that allows you to download a file from computers of several users at once. By downloading a file using BitTorrent, you are simultaneously distributing the already downloaded portions of the file to other users. The more popular a file is, the more users are sharing it, and the faster you download it. There are many BitTorrent clients available.
Attention: the information in this article is for informational purposes only
Method 1 of 2: Downloading and Installing a BitTorrent Client
Step 1. Download a torrent client
BitTorrent is the oldest peer-to-peer client program and is still being updated. It works on both Windows and Mac OS X.
Other popular and updated torrent clients are uTorrent, qBittorrent, Deluge, and Vuze
Step 2. Install the torrent client on your computer
After downloading the required torrent client, open the installation file and follow the instructions to install the program.
Method 2 of 2: Find and Download Games Using a BitTorrent Client
Step 1. Use a search engine to find the torrent file for the game you want
To use a torrent client, you need a.torrent file. Certain types of files can be found through a search engine. On Google, enter filetype: torrent, and then enter the name of the game you want.
The filetype: torrent search operator also works in other search engines such as Bing, Yahoo! and DuckDuckGo
Step 2. Click on one of the links in the list of search results
Many torrent sites (torrent trackers) have a lot of pop-up ads and ads that children should not read. Also, torrent trackers are often closed due to copyright infringement, so not all links will be active in the search results list.
- A link in the search results list will direct you to a website where you can download a torrent file, or automatically start downloading a torrent file.
- Most torrent trackers display the number of seeds for each torrent file. Seeds are users who distribute the downloaded parts of the desired file.
Step 3. Open the torrent client
Step 4. Open the downloaded torrent file
To do this, simply drag the torrent file into the torrent client window (this operation is supported by most torrent clients). Or click "File" and select the downloaded torrent file. You can also double-click the downloaded torrent file to open it in the torrent client.
Step 5. Start downloading the file
Most torrent clients wait for the user to start downloading the file. Click on the torrent file (in the torrent client window) to select it, and then click the button that starts the file download. Typically, such a button is marked with a "play" icon, namely a triangle that points to the right.
- After the file starts downloading, the torrent client window will display the number of users from whom you are downloading the file and to whom you are distributing it. The more seeders (users sharing the file), the faster the file will download.
- After the download is complete, you can continue to upload the file; do not close the torrent client for this.
- Game files come in different formats for different operating systems. Make sure you are downloading a version of the game that is supported by your operating system.
- If only a few seeds are sharing a game file, it will take a long time to download.
- Downloading the game is not considered an offense, which cannot be said about distributing it. By giving away the game, you may face legal action from the copyright owner of the downloadable game.
- In some countries, if you are caught downloading games using a BitTorrent client, you may receive a warning email from your ISP. In this case, stop downloading the files via the torrent client. If you continue to download files, you may be blocked from accessing the Internet and charged with copyright infringement.