This article will show you how to download a website to your computer so that you can use it offline. Please be aware that some websites will not be able to download due to restrictions.
Step 1. Find a free program to download sites
There are many such programs, for example:
- HTTrack - Supports Windows and Linux. HTTrack will allow you to select the elements of the site to be downloaded.
- WebRipper - Windows only. With this program, you can download photos, videos and links that are on the site, as well as its HTML code and page formatting code.
- Deepvacuum - Supports Mac OS X. Allows you to select the elements of the site (for example, images or links) that will be downloaded.
SiteSucker - for Mac OS El Capitan and Sierra, although the official site has versions for iOS and previous versions of Mac OS X. This program is similar to the DeepVacuum program, but also allows you to automatically update downloaded web pages when connected to the Internet. Also available iOS version.
Step 2. Familiarize yourself with the selected program
To do this, read the reviews of other users. If the majority of users recommend the program, and its interface suits you, proceed to the next step.
- Don't use badly reviewed software.
- Finding video presentations of programs will make your choice easier.
Step 3. Download the program
Most of these programs are located on special sites that are not secure, so download the program when the device is connected to a secure network (for example, your home network, not a public network).
- If possible, download the program from its developer's website.
- You may need to specify the download folder before downloading.
Step 4. Double click on the downloaded installation file
You will find it in your downloads folder. The installation process will start.
Step 5. Follow the instructions on the screen
They depend on the selected program, so carefully read the information in the program's installer window.
Step 6. Wait for the program to install and then launch it
Now try to download the site.
Step 7. Copy the URL of the site you want
To do this, open the site in a web browser, then select the site address at the top of the browser window, right-click on the selected address (or with two fingers) and click "Copy".
Alternatively, hold Ctrl (Windows) or ⌘ Command (Mac) and press C to copy the highlighted address
Step 8. Paste the site address into the address bar in the program for downloading sites
The location of this line depends on the program, but you will most likely find it at the top of the program window.
In the program window, you can also select download options, such as the types of files that you do not need to download, or the folder to download the website
Step 9. Click "Download" or "Download" in the program window
The name and location of this button depends on the program, but you will likely find it at the bottom of the window. The website starts downloading to your computer.
Step 10. Wait for the site to download
Now the site can be opened even without an Internet connection.
You won't be able to download dynamic and some other elements, since they are related to online functions
You can use the website downloader to create backups of your own websites
- A site that contains many pages and multimedia files will take up a lot of space on your computer's hard drive.
- Some sites cannot be downloaded because their owners fear content theft. In this case, download each web page separately.
- Make sure you have download rights for the selected site.