The size of games is growing, so downloading them can take up the entire bandwidth of the Internet connection. If you're going to be downloading games on a regular basis, consider using torrents to get the most out of your internet connection bandwidth. Torrents download games faster than regular sites, and the community helps minimize the risk of virus infection by distributing safe and working files. Remember that in most countries it is illegal to download games that do not belong to you for free.
Part 1 of 4: Installing the required software
Step 1. Download and install the archiver
Most of the downloaded games are archives, the formats of which are not supported by Windows. To unpack the archive and extract the game files from it, you need an archiver program. The most popular archivers are 7-Zip (7-zip.org) and WinRAR (rarlab.com).
- 7-Zip is a free archiver capable of unpacking most archives, including RAR and 7z archives. It is recommended to install this particular archiver.
- The trial version of the WinRAR archiver will allow you to unpack most of the archives, but after a certain time, you need to buy this program.
Step 2. Download and install a torrent client
Most games are distributed via BitTorrent, a popular method for exchanging large files between computers. To use BitTorrent, you need a torrent client that downloads torrent files and connects your computer to other people's computers. One of the most popular free clients is qBittorrent (qbittorrent.org). With qBittorrent, you don't have to worry about malware and unwanted programs; If you choose another client, for example, uTorrent, carefully read the information in the game installation wizard so as not to install unwanted software.
Step 3. Update your antivirus software
Downloading games using torrents is one of the easiest ways to catch a virus. To prevent infection of your computer, install and update your antivirus. You can use Windows Defender, which is built into the Windows system, or install a third-party antivirus such as BitDefender or Kaspersky.
- For information on how to enable Windows Defender, read this article. Instructions for installing a third-party antivirus program can be found in this article. Remember that only one antivirus should be installed on the computer.
- In the system tray, right-click on the antivirus icon and select "Update" from the menu to check for available updates and download them.
Step 4. Install the optical drive emulator software
Many downloaded games are in the ISO format, which is the image of a DVD disc. To work with an ISO file, you must either burn it to a DVD or mount it as a virtual disc. If you are going to install a lot of different games, use an optical drive emulator, which will save you money (because you don't have to buy blank DVDs).
- One of the most popular optical drive emulators is Daemon Tools. During the installation of this program, carefully read the information in the installation wizard to avoid installing unwanted software.
- Windows 8 and later include utilities that can handle ISO files without additional software.
Part 2 of 4: Finding a Game
Step 1. Understand the basics of torrenting
When using torrents to download files, the torrent file is uploaded to the torrent client. The client then connects to other computers that have the same torrent file and starts downloading game files to the computer. The more users upload a file, the faster it will download.
You can find smaller archived games on various resources, but, as a rule, such games are "cropped" (for example, video clips are cut), so it is not recommended to download them. Remember that hard drives are constantly getting cheaper, so it's better to buy a larger drive and download a full game from a torrent tracker
Step 2. Find a torrent tracker
A torrent tracker is a site that stores torrent files. The torrent tracker can be used as a search engine to find the game you want. To find a torrent tracker, enter "torrent tracker" in the search engine (without the quotes).
Most of the trackers that the search engine will find are public, that is, such trackers are open to any user. If you search better, you can find private trackers. These trackers have games that are hard to find; Moreover, on private trackers, you don't have to worry about your privacy. As a rule, to get on a private tracker, you need an invitation from its user. Private trackers require users to download and upload the same amount of data
Step 3. Find the game you want
To do this, use a torrent tracker. If the game is relatively new, several hands of that game will be displayed in the search results list; if playing old, you will find 1-2 hands or not at all.
Remember that in most countries it is illegal to download games that do not belong to you for free
Step 4. Look at the information about each hand
First, pay attention to the number of seeds - these are users who have already downloaded the game and are now distributing it. The more seeds there are, the faster the game will download; moreover, a large number of seeders indicate a safe and working file. This is especially important for games because most games have copyright protection that prohibits users who have not paid for the game from playing it.
Step 5. Before downloading the torrent file, read the information and comments about it
Make sure that the distribution includes all the necessary game files, as well as tools (files, programs) for breaking the protection. The information section contains a list of files that are included in the distribution. You can use comments to find out if the torrent file contains viruses. If several users indicate the presence of viruses at once, do not download such a torrent file - just find another distribution.
Part 3 of 4: Downloading the game
Step 1. Click "Download" or "Magnet link" to download the torrent file
When you click Download, a tiny file is downloaded to your computer; open it in a torrent client to start the game download process. If you click the "Magnet link", the torrent client will start automatically (without first downloading the torrent file). Any of these methods will work to download the game.
Step 2. Wait for the download process to complete
The download speed is likely to be slow at first, but it will increase as more seeds are connected. Depending on the file size, the number of seeds, and the speed of the internet connection, downloading the game will take anywhere from a few minutes to several days.
Step 3. Increase the download speed of the game (if you want)
System and network settings can restrict connections to other torrent users. To increase your download speed, follow these steps:
- Make sure the internet connection is not being used for other purposes, such as streaming video or playing an online game. If bandwidth is being used for something else, modern routers define BitTorrent traffic as low priority. To quickly download the game, stop any other online activity.
- In the torrent client window, click "Settings" - "Connection". Check the box next to Enable UPnP. This will allow the torrent client to open the correct ports on the router. Also enable the UPnP protocol in the router settings. To find out how to open the router settings page, read this article.
- Limit the upload speed. Do this in the "Speed" section of the "Settings" menu. Downloading data at its maximum speed will negatively affect the performance of your computer and may cause the download to fail. When downloading the game, set a small value for the upload speed to increase the download speed.
Step 4. When the game has finished downloading, scan the file (s) with an antivirus
To do this, right-click on the downloaded file (or folder) and start scanning. Moreover, you can scan the entire computer, but it will take quite a long time. Scanning files does not guarantee that all viruses will be detected, but it increases the chances of finding malicious code.
Part 4 of 4: Installing and Running the Game
Step 1. Find the README file
Most downloaded games come with a README text file. Be sure to read this file (before installing the game), because many games require some additional steps to be performed in order for the user to be able to launch the game.
Step 2. Mount or burn the ISO file (if needed)
If the downloaded game is in ISO format, mount the file as a virtual disc, or burn the file to a blank DVD. In Windows 8/10, right-click on the ISO file and select "Install" from the menu to mount the file to the virtual drive. In Windows 7 and later, the ISO file can be burned to disc: right-click on the file and select Burn to Disc from the menu.
- If you can't mount or burn the ISO file, read this article or this article.
- Not all downloaded games are in ISO format. Sometimes the installation file is a simple executable file.
Step 3. Start the installation process
Run the installation from disk or open the installation file. The installation process depends on the game. Strictly follow the instructions in the installation wizard window; otherwise, the game may not start.
- You may need to run a cracker during the installation process to bypass copyright infringement protection. Be careful when launching crackers because they are one of the most common ways of transmitting viruses.
- To secure your computer, first install the game in a virtual machine and run the cracker. Check the virtual machine for viruses. If there are no malicious files, install the game on your computer. For information on how to set up and use a virtual machine, read this article.
Step 4. Start the game
Do this after completing the installation process for the game. Open the README file again, as many hacked games require steps to run. For example, you should open a specific executable file located in the game folder, or open a cracker program each time before starting the game.