If you're tired of ringtones on your iPhone and don't want to create your own, why not just download new ones? You can use the iTunes store, the free Zedge app, or one of the free sites to download ringtones to your iPhone. But iPhone users aren't the only ones who can change the ringtone on their phone - the Zedge app is available for Android too, and ringtone sites work great on that platform. Learn how to use iTunes, Zedge, and ringtone sites to personalize iPhone and Android devices.
Method 1 of 4: Websites with Free Ringtones
Step 1. Go to a trusted site to download free ringtones
Finding a trustworthy site can be quite a daunting task, but sites like Tones7.com and ToneTweet.com have been fairly well received by users.
- If you are in doubt about the reliability of a site, try looking for reviews about it. Enter the name of the site into the search engine along with the word "review".
- Ringtone sites are suitable for both Android and iPhone.
Step 2. Search the website for a suitable ringtone
Most free ringtone download sites work according to the same principle. Enter the name of the song / melody in the search field and sort the ringtone lists by category or popularity.
Step 3. Select the melody you want to download and click “Download”
Depending on the site, the download button may have a different name.
When prompted to save the file, choose an easily accessible location, such as your desktop or downloads folder
Step 4. Transfer the ringtone to your Android phone
If you have an iPhone, you can skip this step.
- Swipe down on Android. If the first option is not called File Transfer, tap it, then select File Transfer.
- Press ⊞ Win + E (or launch Finder on Mac) and then double-click your phone in the list of connected devices.
- Press Ctrl + ⇧ Shift + N (Win) ⌘ Cmd + ⇧ Shift + N (Mac) to create a new folder called Ringtones, then drag your new ringtone there.
Step 5. Transfer the ringtone to iPhone
Double-click the ringtone to open it in iTunes..
- Right click on the ringtone in iTunes and select "Create AAC Version". Then right-click on it and choose Show In Finder (Mac) or Show In Windows Explorer (Win).
- Right click on the ringtone and select Rename. Remove the file extension (
.m4a) and replace it with
- Select a ringtone in iTunes and press Del. Then drag the new.m4r file to your iTunes library.
- Select your iPhone at the top of the window and click Sounds.
- Put a check mark in the “Synchronize sounds” box, then click “Synchronize”.
Step 6. Set your new ringtone as your default ringtone
- Android: Open the Settings app and select Sounds & Notifications. Tap the Ringtone option and choose your melody from the list.
- iPhone: Open the Settings app and select Sounds. Tap the Ringtone option, then select the ringtone you just synced.
Method 2 of 4: iTunes Store on iPhone
Step 1. Open the iTunes Store app
The easiest way to download new ringtones to iPhone is to use the iTunes Store.
Step 2. Tap More (…) and select Sounds
Step 3. Select "Top Charts" or "Featured" to view the available tunes
If you cannot find the ringtone you want, tap the Search icon at the bottom of the screen and enter your query.
Step 4. Tap the price tag next to the ringtone you want to download
You may be asked for a password to continue downloading.
Step 5. Tap "OK" to download the ringtone to your phone
Step 6. Open the Settings app and select Sounds
Now that you've downloaded your new ringtone to your phone, set it as your default ringtone by going to the Settings app.
Step 7. Tap the "Ringtone" option and then select the ringtone you just downloaded
The next time someone calls you on your phone, you will hear a new ringtone.
Method 3 of 4: Zedge for iPhone
Step 1. Go to the App Store on iPhone
Zedge is an application that allows you to download an unlimited number of ringtones to your phone for free. Finding a ringtone with this app is pretty easy, but there are a few extra steps you will need to take to sync them to the correct location.
Step 2. Tap the "Search" icon and enter "Zedge"
Select "Zedge" from the list of results.
Step 3. Tap "Download" to install Zedge on iPhone
Step 4. Launch the application on the iPhone
Step 5. Tap the menu ≡ and select “Ringtones”
You will see tabs such as Categories, Featured, and Popular, which contain different ringtones.
If you want to search for a specific melody or song instead of browsing through categories, tap the magnifying glass icon, then enter your query
Step 6. Tap “Save Ringtone” to proceed to download
Step 7. Connect your iPhone to your Mac or Windows computer with iTunes installed
Use the cable that came with your phone or find a suitable replacement. If iTunes doesn't launch automatically after connecting your phone, open it manually.
Step 8. Select your iPhone in the upper left corner of the screen, then tap on "Apps."
Step 9. Select "Zedge" from the "Shared Files" section
You will see the saved ringtone on the right side of the screen. If you've downloaded multiple ringtones, they should all be here.
Step 10. Open the iTunes menu in the upper left corner of the window and select "Add Files to Library"
Step 11. Select a ringtone and click "Open"
If you have downloaded several ringtones, check the boxes that you want to sync.
Step 12. Open the "Sounds" menu in the left pane, and then on the right, check the "Synchronize sounds" box
Step 13. Click "Apply" to start the synchronization process
You will know that synchronization is complete by a beep.
Step 14. Open the iPhone Settings app and select Sounds
Step 15. Tap the "Ringtone" option and select the ringtone you just synced
The ringtone you downloaded with Zedge will become your default ringtone.
Method 4 of 4: Zedge for Android
Step 1. Tap the “Play Store” icon on your desktop
Zedge is a popular no-subscription app for Android and iPhone.
Step 2. Search for "Zedge" in the Play Store and then select "Zedge" from the search results
Step 3. Tap "Install" to start the installation
When the installation is complete, the Install button will change to an Open button.
Step 4. Open Zedge and select "Ringtones" to view a list of available ringtones
You will see options such as Categories, Featured, and Popular, which contain different ringtones.
If instead of browsing through categories, you want to search for a specific melody or song, tap the magnifying glass icon, then enter your query
Step 5. Select a melody and then click the Play button to listen to a portion of the melody
If you don't like the melody, tap the Back button and continue searching.
Step 6. Tap the down arrow to download the ringtone
Depending on the Android version, the system may ask you for permission so that Zedge can save files. Click "Allow" or "OK".
Step 7. Select a ringtone from the ringtone list
You will see options such as Ringtone, Notification, Contacts and Alarm. When you select one of these options, the downloaded ringtone will become the default ringtone.
- When you select "Contacts" you will be prompted to assign a ringtone for a specific contact.
- Select "Notification" to assign a ringtone for notifications, such as incoming emails and text messages.
- Ringtones can be a reflection of your personality, so think twice before downloading ringtones with foul language or sounds.
- Do not download files from sites or applications that you do not trust.