In this article, we are going to show you how to install XAMPP on a Windows 10 computer. XAMPP is a server manager that allows you to run Apache, MySQL and more servers from one panel.
Step 1. Open the XAMPP website
Go to https://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html in a computer web browser.
Step 2. Click XAMPP for Windows
This button is in the middle of the page.
Depending on your browser, you may first have to select a download folder or confirm a download
Step 3. Double click on the downloaded file
It should be named something like this: xampp-win32-7.2.4-0-VC15-installer.
The file is located in a download package (for example, in the Downloads folder or on your desktop).
Step 4. Click Yes when prompted
The XAMPP Installer window will open.
You may have to click OK on the pop-up window if User Account Control (UAC) is enabled on your computer
Step 5. Click Next
It's at the bottom of the installer window.
Step 6. Select the XAMPP items to be installed
Look at the list of XAMPP attributes on the left side of the window; if you see an attribute that you don't want to be set as part of XAMPP, uncheck the box next to it.
All attributes will be set by default
Step 7. Click Next
It's at the bottom of the window.
Step 8. Select a folder to install
Click the folder-shaped icon to the right of the suggested installation path, and then click the desired folder on your computer.
- If User Account Control is enabled on your computer, do not install XAMPP to a folder on your system drive (for example, drive "C:").
- You can select a folder (for example, Desktop) and then click “Make New Folder” to create a new folder and select it as the folder for your XAMPP installation.
Step 9. Click on OK
This will confirm that the selected folder is the XAMPP installation folder.
Step 10. Click Next
You will find this option at the bottom of the page.
Step 11. Uncheck the "Learn more about Bitnami" option and then click Next
It's in the middle of the page.
Step 12. Run the XAMPP installation
To do this, click Next at the bottom of the window. The process of installing the XAMPP files to the selected folder will start.
Step 13. Click Finish when prompted
It's at the bottom of the XAMPP Installer window. The window will close, but the XAMPP control panel will open, where you can access your servers.
Step 14. Choose a language
To do this, check the box next to the flag of the respective country.
Step 15. Click Save
The main page of the control panel will open.
Step 16. Launch XAMPP
To open the XAMPP control panel in the future, open the folder where you installed XAMPP, right click on the orange and white “Xampp-control” icon, select “Run as administrator” from the menu, and then click “Yes” in the window with a request.
- When you do this, red Xs will appear to the left of each server type (for example, "Apache"). If you click on this symbol, you will be prompted to install the software for the appropriate server type on your computer - if you agree, click “Yes”.
- Please note that double clicking on the “Xampp_start” icon will not launch XAMPP.
Step 17. Troubleshoot if Apache won't start
On some Windows 10 computers, Apache won't start due to a "blocked port". This can happen for several reasons, but there is a fairly simple solution:
- Click Config to the right of Apache.
- Select "Apache (httpd.conf)" from the menu.
- Scroll down to the “Listen 80” section (you can press Ctrl + F and type listen 80 to quickly find it).
- Replace 80 with any open port (such as 81 or 9080).
- Press Ctrl + S to save your changes and then close the text editor.
- Restart XAMPP by clicking "Quit" and then start it again as administrator from the XAMPP folder.