This article will show you how to transfer your Windows 10 license / product key to a new computer. This will allow you to use a boxed or Easy Upgrade version of Windows on a new hard drive.
Step 1. Find out if it is possible to transfer activated Windows 10 to another computer at all
The license transfer process has certain limitations:
- If you upgraded from a boxed version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can transfer your license (but only once).
- If you have a complete boxed copy of Windows 10, you can migrate it as many times as you like.
- If you upgraded from an OEM version (pre-installed on your computer by the manufacturer) Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, then you won't be able to transfer your copy of Windows 10.
- If you upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Professional through Easy Upgrade, you can transfer your license using a digital license.
Step 2. Remove the license from the source computer
The easiest way is to remove the product key. Here's how to do it:
- Press ⊞ Win + x.
Please select Windows PowerShell (Administrator).
- Enter slmgr.vbs / upk.
- Press ↵ Enter. This will remove the license key from Windows so you can use it on another system.
Step 3. Install Windows on a new PC
When installing Windows, you will be prompted for your product key. Here's what to do:
- Select "I don't have a product key" (unless you bought Windows 10 from a store, in which case enter your product key).
- Select your license version.
- If you're transferring a license from Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, or Windows 8.1 Core, select Windows 10 Home.
- If you are upgrading from Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Windows 8.1 Professional, select Windows 10 Professional.
- Complete the installation. When the Windows installation is complete, you will be on your desktop.
Step 4. Press ⊞ Win + R when the installation is complete and you are taken to your desktop
The Run dialog box will open.
Step 5. Enter slui.exe and press Next, to open the Windows Activation Wizard.
Step 6. Select your country and click Next
The phone number and installation ID will appear on the screen.
Step 7. Call the indicated phone number and state the ID of the installation
The call center operator will verify the product code and provide you with a confirmation number.
Step 8. Tap on Enter verification code to complete the activation
Enter the verification code as instructed on the screen to activate Windows.