Phone calls can be very impersonal. You have to settle for a hoarse sound without a picture enlivening the conversation. With FaceTime, you can take your phone calls to the state of the art by video chatting with your grandparents across the country or with a friend on a nearby street. Follow our easy instructions to make a FaceTime call from your iPad.
Step 1. Launch FaceTime
Tap the FaceTime icon on the iPad home screen to launch the app. FaceTime is a video chat that lets you talk to other FaceTime users using your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Mac OS X.
Step 2. Decide who you want to call
Tap on "Contacts" at the bottom of the screen, then tap on the name of the person you want to call. You can only call FaceTime users.
- You can also start FaceTime calls from the Contacts app on the iPad. Open Contacts, select the person you want to chat with, and press the FaceTime camera button.
- To do this, your interlocutor must already appear in the contact list.
Step 3. Decide how you want to address the interlocutor
Contact information is located on the right side of the screen. You can choose a regular call or a video call. Click the appropriate button.
You need a person's phone number or email address in order to make a FaceTime call. If you are calling from an iPhone, try the phone number first, and if from another device, then enter the address
Step 4. Wait for the connection
The device of your interlocutor will inform him about the incoming call via FaceTime. The conversation will start after your interlocutor answers the call.
Step 5. Start a conversation
After connecting, the image of the interlocutor will appear on your full screen, and your own will appear in a small window in the corner. During a call, you can press the microphone button to mute the sound, or the camera button to switch to the iPad's rear camera. Click on the "End" button to end the call.
- FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi allows for clearer video without wasting mobile phone traffic.
- You can click on the preview window and drag it to a different location.
- You can only make FaceTime calls to other FaceTime users (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPod touch) who have an Internet connection.
- If you are calling using FaceTime on 3G, then the traffic will be deducted from your monthly rate.