Siri is one of the most hyped options on new Apple devices. This virtual assistant can recognize questions and commands and give you the information you need. Although Siri is usually talked about in connection with phones, you can use this feature on iPad as well.
Method 1 of 3: How to activate Siri
Step 1. Make sure Siri will work on your tablet
Siri works on iPad 3 and up. You cannot install the program on the first and second iPad. For Siri to work, you need internet. If you have one of the earliest versions of iPad and want to use voice control, skip to the last part of this article.
You can try to jailbreak your old tablet and install Siri files, but most likely it won't work. Hacking will void your warranty. In addition, it will take a very long time to mess around, especially with newer versions of iOS. If you want to try this anyway, look for related articles on WikiHow
Step 2. Open the settings
Step 3. Click "General"
Step 4. Click "Siri"
If Siri is not in this menu, it means that your device is too old and does not support this function. Look for workarounds
Step 5. Turn on Siri
The menu will have several options for changing Siri settings.
- You can choose male or female voice.
- Multiple languages can be selected, including Spanish, French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, German, Italian, and Korean.
Step 6. Activate the "Hey Siri" option (iOS 8 only)
This will allow you to launch Siri by saying "Hello Siri", provided the tablet is connected to a charger. This is useful if your tablet is charging on your desktop or bedside table.
For some users, this feature works with varying degrees of success. If something doesn't work for you, it's better to disable it
Method 2 of 3: How to use Siri
Step 1. Press and hold the main button
You will hear a sound and the Siri interface will appear on the screen.
Step 2. Ask Siri a question or give a command
Siri will start searching the internet, change settings, or open an app. If you want to see options for all possible commands, click on the question mark and go through all the options.
Speak clearly and slowly at first to see how well Siri understands you. If you speak too quickly or too quietly, Siri may not hear the command correctly
Step 3. Use Siri to navigate
You can use this program to open applications, play music, launch FaceTime, send e-mail, search the Internet for the right places, and so on. Here are some examples of possible commands:
- "Turn on the camera" (if you have several applications with the camera, Siri will offer to choose one of them)
- "Open Facebook" (with this command you can run all applications)
- "Start / Skip / Pause" (when playing music)
- "Start Radio in iTunes"
- "Check your mail"
- "New letters"
- "Find a pizzeria near me"
- "Find the nearest gas station"
Step 4. Change settings using Siri
You can find and change most of the tablet settings through Siri, without having to go through the menu searches. The most commonly used commands are:
- "Turn on Wi-Fi"
- "Turn on Do Not Disturb Mode"
- "Make the screen brighter / darker"
- "Turn on the flashlight"
- "Turn on bluetooth"
- "Resize text"
Step 5. Use Siri to search for information on the Internet
By default, Siri will search the Internet using the Bing service. If you prefer Google, add this word to your search term. You can also search for pictures.
- "Find on the Internet …"
- "Find on Google …"
- "Find images …"
Step 6. Manage your calendar
Siri can add events to the calendar, edit them and show you information about them.
- "Make an appointment with V"
- "Move my meeting from with to"
- "Cancel appointment with"
- "When is my next meeting?"
Step 7. Use Wikipedia with Siri
When you search for something on Wikipedia through Siri, an image (if it is in the article) and the first paragraph will appear on the screen. To read the entire article, click on the screen.
- "Tell me about …"
- "Search Wikipedia …"
Step 8. Manage Twitter with Siri
You can display the posts of a specific user, view posts by any tag, and find out what everyone is talking about right now.
- "What does he say?"
- "Look on Twitter …"
- "What are people saying about …?"
Step 9. Find your way with Siri
Siri will search for the desired addresses using information from the Maps application. You can ask a variety of questions about navigation, travel times, and locations.
- "How to get home?"
- "Show route to"
- "Show me the way to the nearest ATM"
Step 10. Try using different commands
Siri has many commands, and there are more of them with each new version of the operating system. Ask Siri questions and see what the program answers. Siri is especially useful for performing frequent tasks: sending messages, searching for information on the network, processing mail. This is where the command variations will be the most.
Method 3 of 3: Analogs of Siri for iPad / iPad2
Step 1. Download and install a third-party voice control software
One of the highest quality and most popular programs for iOS is Dragon Go!
- Dragon Go! can use many applications including Google, Yelp, Spotify.
- A special function in this program allows you to record your own messages.
Step 2. Press and hold the main button to activate the application
Everything here works the same as in the case of Siri.
Step 3. Say the command
Dragon Go! supports a large number of commands and can do almost anything that Siri can do. Try different commands to see if the program works correctly.
Step 4. Use the Google search app
This app also has voice recognition capability. Click on the microphone icon in the search box and say the command. Of course, this application will not interact with other programs in the tablet, but you can search for information on the Internet and in other Google applications.
- You can ask Siri to call you a different name if you want, or give the command to remember that one of your contacts belongs to a relative or partner so you can quickly call him or send a message.
- Siri can be called by pressing and holding the main button from any application, even when the screen is locked.
- When you try to call, send a letter or message to a person, under whose name several contacts are indicated, Siri will ask you to select the necessary data. Try to speak clearly so as not to call someone else.
- Always speak towards the upper part of the device, where the microphone is located, so that the program understands you.