In this article, we are going to show you how to connect iPhone or iPad to iTunes on Windows or macOS computer.
Part 1 of 2: How to Install and Update iTunes
Step 1. Decide on the computer on which you will manage your iTunes library
The hard disk of such a computer must have a large capacity, the computer must be connected to a stable and fast Internet, and you must also have constant access to the computer.
Step 2. Install iTunes (on Windows)
If you have a Mac or have already installed iTunes on Windows, go to the next step.
- Open the start menu
and select "Microsoft Store".
- Click Search in the upper right corner and enter itunes.
- Click on "iTunes" in the search results.
- Click Install and follow the instructions on the screen.
Step 3. Launch iTunes
On Windows, it's on the Start Menu
… On your Mac, click the musical note icon in the dock at the bottom of your screen.
- If this is your first time launching iTunes, follow the onscreen instructions to set it up.
- To learn how to use iTunes, read this article.
Step 4. Update iTunes
Follow these steps depending on your operating system:
- Update macOS on your Mac. To do this, open the Apple menu
, click System Preferences, and then click Software Update.
- If you installed iTunes through the Microsoft Store, the updates will be installed automatically.
- If you're on Windows and downloaded iTunes from Apple, open the Help menu in iTunes, select Check for Updates, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Step 5. Sign in to iTunes with your Apple ID
If you bought something from the iTunes store (apps, books, movies, etc.), authorization will give you access to your purchases. To log in, follow these steps.
- Open the "Account" menu at the top of the window.
- Click Sign In.
- Enter your Apple ID username and password.
- Click Sign In.
Part 2 of 2: How to sync your mobile device with iTunes
Step 1. Set up automatic synchronization
Before connecting your device to your computer, follow these steps:
- Open the "Edit" menu in the upper left corner and select "Settings".
- Click on the "Devices" tab.
- To have your iPhone / iPad automatically sync when connected to iTunes, uncheck the box next to “Prevent automatic syncing of iPod, iPhone, and iPad devices” and then click “OK”.
- If you do not want your device to sync automatically, check the box next to “Prevent automatic syncing of iPod, iPhone, and iPad devices”, and then click “OK”. Do this if you are connecting to iTunes on someone else's computer (or a computer that is not your primary computer).
Step 2. Connect iPhone / iPad to computer using USB cable
Use the cable that came with your device (or any other compatible cable). A button appears in the upper-left corner of iTunes, labeled with a phone or tablet icon - this button is called Device.
If you have a new iPhone / iPad, look online for information on how to connect your new device to iTunes
Step 3. Click the "Device" button
It's in the upper left corner of iTunes.
If you get a message that your device is already synced with another iTunes library, be careful. If you click Erase and Sync, content on your device (such as music or photos) is deleted and replaced with content from your computer
Step 4. Select the type of content you want to sync
A number of categories (for example, Music, Movies) will appear in the left column "Settings". Click on one of the categories to view its sync options.
Step 5. Set the category sync options
The options vary by category, but either way, check the Sync box at the top of the main panel.
You can select certain types of data to sync. For example, in the Music category, choose to sync your entire library or specific playlists
Step 6. Click Apply
It's in the lower right corner. If iTunes is set to sync automatically, syncing of the selected items starts. Otherwise, you will have to sync manually.
Step 7. Repeat the above steps to sync other content types
Click "Apply" when you're done customizing the sync options for each category.
Step 8. Click Synchronize
The process of synchronization of the selected data will start.
Step 9. Click Finish
This button is in the lower right corner.
Step 10. Set up wireless sync (optional)
If you don't want to use a USB cable to sync with iTunes, activate over-the-air sync. For this:
- Connect your phone / tablet and computer to the same wireless network.
- Click the Device button in the iTunes window.
- Click Browse in the left pane (under Settings).
- Check the box next to "Sync over Wi-Fi".
- Click Apply.