RMVB (RealMedia Variable Bitrate) is a format created by RealMedia for the RealPlayer. The easiest way to play RMVB files is to download and install RealPlayer. However, this article also describes a way to play such files for those who have Windows Media Player Classic installed and do not want to install additional media players.
Method 1 of 3: Installing RealPlayer
Step 1. Download and install RealPlayer
- Go to the RealPlayer page on the RealMedia website and click "RealPlayer Free Download".
- In the window that opens, click "Save file".
- Open the folder where the file was downloaded and double-click on it to launch the installation wizard.
- Enter your email address and select the folder where RealPlayer will be installed. If you have not selected a folder, the player will be installed to the default folder.
- Click Agree and Continue. The player will be installed (a message about the successful installation of RealPlayer will open).
Method 2 of 3: Installing Real Alternative
Step 1. Install Real Alternative if you want to play RMVB files in Windows Media Player Classic (without installing RealPlayer)
- Download Real Alternative from the CNET website. Go to the Real Alternative download page and click Download Now.
- Close your browser. This is an important step to prevent Real Alternative from conflicting with the browser.
- Double click on the downloaded file. A window will open informing you that Real Alternative is being installed (in the background).
- This window will automatically close after the successful installation of Real Alternative.
Method 3 of 3: Playing RMVB Files
Step 1. Play RMVB file with RealPlayer or Real Alternative using the following method
- Right click on the RMVB file and select "Open" from the menu.
- Check "Select the program from a list" and click OK.
- Select RealPlayer from the list (if you want to use RealPlayer to play RMVB files). If you want to use Real Alternative, select Windows Media Player Classic from the list.