This article will show you how to edit documents on iPhone. Microsoft Office Word documents can be edited in the Word app for iPhone. To edit documents in Word, you need an Office 365 account. If you don't have one, use Pages to edit Word documents. Text documents can also be edited in Google Docs on iPhone.
Method 1 of 3: Editing a Document in Word on iPhone
Step 1. Download and install Word
This app has a blue icon and a page with a "W" in the background. Download Word from the App Store by following these steps.
- Open the App Store.
- Enter Word into the search bar.
- Tap Microsoft Word.
Step 2. Start Word by tapping the corresponding icon on the desktop or by clicking "Open" in the App Store
To be able to edit documents, you need to be logged in. To do this, click Sign In in the upper left corner and sign in with your Office 365 email address and password. If you don't have an Office 365 account, use the Pages app to edit Word documents. Move on to the second method
Step 3. Tap Open Open a document saved in the cloud or downloaded to your iPhone or iPad from an email
- To open a Word document saved in the cloud, tap Add Place, select the cloud service, and sign in. After that, documents can be opened from the cloud.
- To open a Word document downloaded from an email, click on Advanced and then select the Word document.
Step 4. Click on the document text to display the keyboard
Step 5. Type text from the keyboard
Use your keyboard to edit your document. The Bold, Italic, and Underline buttons are located in the upper-right corner of the keyboard.
Step 6. Use the tabs at the top to edit your document
The tabs at the top have the following purposes:
this tab allows you to change the font, color, and background of the text, add bullets or numbering, and align text to the left, center, right, or width.
this tab allows you to add tables, pictures, shapes, hyperlinks, text boxes, and more.
this tab lets you draw on your document using your stylus or Apple Pencil. There are several marker options at the top of the page.
this tab allows you to change orientation, page size, add margins, columns and breaks.
this tab has options for checking spelling, counting the number of words, keeping track of notes, and opening a directory.
this tab allows you to toggle the print layout to the mobile view, and toggle the ruler on or off.
Step 7. Save the document
To save the document, tap the leaf icon in the upper left corner and select Duplicate, or tap the back arrow in the upper left corner to go back and save all changes.
Method 2 of 3: Editing a document in Pages on iPhone
Step 1. Download and install Pages
Pages is Apple's text editor for Mac and iOS devices. This app has a pencil icon on an orange background. It can be downloaded for free on iPhone by following these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Enter Pages in the search bar.
- Click on Pages Apps.
- Press Receive next to the app.
Step 2. Open Pages by tapping the appropriate icon on your desktop or by clicking Open in the App Store
Step 3. Click the Folder Image Files tab to display the pop-up menu on the left
Step 4. Tap On iPhone
It's the second folder from the top under the heading "Places".
Step 5. Tap Pages
This is the folder with the Pages application icon.
Step 6. Select a document and click Finish
Pages can open both Pages documents and Word documents. In this application, Word documents may not be formatted correctly.
Step 7. Click on the text of the document to display the keyboard
Step 8. Type text using the keyboard
Use your keyboard to edit your document.
- Tap the arrow with a stroke in the upper-left corner of the keyboard to add indentation or tabs.
- Tap the font name in the upper left corner of the keyboard to change the font.
- Tap the small A and large A icon on your keyboard to change the font size and underline or bold or italic text.
- Tap the line icon in the upper right corner of the keyboard to align the text.
- Tap the symbol on the right side of the keyboard to add a comment, page break, line break, column break, bookmark, footnote, or formula.
- Tap the brush icon at the top of the page to change the font, font color and size, paragraph style, line spacing, and add bullets and lists.
- Tap the + icon at the top of the page to add pictures, tables, graphs, and shapes.
- Tap "⋯" to share, export, print, find text, or change document settings.
Step 9. Tap ⋯ in the upper left corner of the screen
Step 10. Select Export (the third option in the settings menu)
Step 11. Choose a format
The document can be exported in PDF, Word, Rich Text Format (RTF), or EPUB. You will then be prompted to share the document.
Step 12. Select a transfer method
Send the document by email or message, or save it to Files.
Method 3 of 3: Edit documents in the Google Docs app on iPhone
Step 1. Download and install Google Docs
Google Docs is Google's word processing application. The Google Docs icon looks like a blue piece of paper. Follow these steps to download Google Docs from the App Store.
- Open the App Store.
- Enter Google Docs in the search bar.
- Tap the Google Docs app.
- Tap Receive next to the app.
Step 2. Open "Google Docs" by touching the corresponding icon on the desktop or by clicking "Open" in the App Store
Step 3. Log into Google Docs
When you open Google Docs for the first time, you will be prompted to sign in to your Google account. Click "Sign in" in the lower left corner and log in by entering your email address and password from your Google account.
Step 4. Open your document
On the main page, you will see a list of recent documents. Click on the folder icon in the upper right corner to open documents from Google Drive.
You cannot edit Word documents in Google Docs. But from it you can export documents in the.docx format
Step 5. Tap the blue pencil icon
in the lower right corner to display the keyboard.
Step 6. Type text using the keyboard
Use the keyboard to edit and enter text. Use the buttons at the top of the screen to underline / strikethrough text or apply bold or italic text to it. From here you can also change the text alignment, add bullets, numbering and indents.
Step 7. Tap +
The plus button in the upper right corner allows you to add links, comments, pictures, tables, horizontal lines, page breaks, and page numbers.
Step 8. Tap the icon with the letter "A" and the stripes on the right to change the text
On the Text tab, you can change the font, font style, font size, and text color. The "Paragraph" tab allows you to change the alignment of text, add indents, bulleted and numbered lists, and change the line spacing.
Step 9. Tap…
This menu allows you to view the page layout for printing, the structure of the document, find and replace text in the document, open directories, check the word count, change the page layout, view information about the document, and share and export the document.
Step 10. Share the document
Follow these steps to share your document.
- Tap "…" in the upper right corner.
- Select Access and Export.
- Click Add Users.
- Enter the recipient's email address in the "Users" line.
- Tap the paper airplane icon in the upper right corner of the pop-up window.
- Alternatively, you can copy the sharing link by clicking on "Copy Link" and sending the link by email, SMS, or instant message.
Step 11. Save the document
To save the document, tap the checkmark in the upper right corner. This will close the document and save it as it is.