Don't be ashamed if you have a big nose, but if it makes you feel a little shy about it, there are visual tricks and techniques you can use to help hide your problem. Contouring and other beauty tricks are some of the most common tricks, but to maximize the effect, consider your hairstyle and accessories as well.
Part 1 of 4: Contouring
Step 1. Use a tonic
Start the contouring process by applying a light toner to make your complexion glow from the inside out.
- It is absolutely necessary to start applying makeup with a preliminary cleansing of the skin of the face.
- Contouring is a makeup application technique that plays with the natural shadows of your face. Depending on how you apply contours, certain areas of your face may appear smaller or larger. By applying contours using the steps listed here, you can make your nose look smaller.
Step 2. Even out the complexion with your usual foundation
If you don't already have a foundation that you use regularly, then choose one that best matches your natural skin tone. Apply it all over your face, including your nose.
Step 3. Apply a dark foundation on the sides of the nose
Choose a foundation that is one or two shades darker than your natural skin tone. Apply this foundation, on the sides of the nose, blending well.
- If your nose is not only large but also long, you should also apply a dark foundation to the tip of your nose.
- The most important part of contouring is the feathering process. Use a brush or sponge to thoroughly blend this dark shade with your natural foundation. When you're done, the dark foundation should look like a natural shadow, not makeup.
Step 4. Use a lighter color on the bridge of the nose
Choose a third foundation one shade lighter than your natural tone. Apply this foundation to the top of the bridge of the nose, starting at the eyes and ending just in front of the tip of the nose and nostrils.
- This foundation accentuates the center line of the nose, painting the "shadows" created by your darker foundation more effective.
- As before, you need to mix this foundation with your natural and darker shades as thoroughly as possible. The transitions between shades should be seamless and natural looking.
Step 5. Apply translucent powder on the sides of the nose
Pick up a loose matte powder and apply it on both sides of your nose.
- This loose powder can help mask any lines or imperfections created by foundation, making your makeup look more natural.
- Make sure to use a matte powder. Shimmering powder draws a lot of attention to the area to which it is applied, so if you apply this powder to your nose, it will only accentuate it more.
Part 2 of 4: Additional Cosmetic Tricks
Step 1. Highlight your eyes or lips
One of the best ways to hide your nose is to highlight another part of your face. Bold eye makeup or cheeky lip color will draw viewers' attention to your eyes or lips more than any other part of your face, including your nose.
- If you decide to accentuate your eyes, paint them in pop art style using dark eyeliner and mascara. Bright and bold eyeshadows are also great for evening makeup, but you should avoid them in daytime makeup.
- If you prefer to accentuate your lips, use bright cheeky lipstick colors. Lipstick with a little gloss or lip gloss is also great.
- Do not highlight both eyes and lips at the same time. Applying heavy makeup to your eyes and lips can easily overwhelm your face.
Step 2. Subtly accentuate your cheekbones
You can balance your nose by making your cheekbones more visible, in addition to your highlighted lips or eyes.
- Choose a blush one or two shades darker than your natural skin tone and apply it to the apples of your cheeks. In this case, a shimmer blush works very well, as it accentuates the skin more than a matte blush.
- Alternatively, you can also apply a light bronzer along the cheekbones to make them glow and stand out more.
Step 3. Avoid shine on your skin
In particular, this applies to your nose. The glitter catches the eye and draws more attention to the facial features, so the glitter on the nose will make it look even bigger.
- The most important thing to do is maintain as much sebum balance as possible. Use a gentle cleanser for your nose every morning and evening. Harsh cleansers can actually irritate the skin and cause it to produce more sebum. During the day, blot your skin with paper or cosmetic matting wipes to remove excess oil on your nose.
- When applying any makeup on your nose, use matte makeup instead of shimmery makeup.
Part 3 of 4: Hairstyle
Step 1. Grow your hair
Medium to long hairstyles are generally better than short ones. Short hairstyles frame the face and highlight the nose, which can visually enlarge it even more. Medium to long haircuts will balance your facial features and make them look smaller.
Step 2. Cut the hair in layers
Straight, edgy hairstyles create more straight vertical lines and accentuate the largest straight line on the face - the nose. Therefore, cut your hair in layers instead of making it soft and round.
All layered cuts are better than sharp and straight cuts, but in this case, feather cuts are the best of the best. Its texture is particularly soft and wavy, so it balances your facial features in the best possible way
Step 3. Add waves or curls
In general, by adding waves and curves, you separate your hair into individual strands and balance any harsh lines on your face. The bridge of the nose is the longest and most visible straight line on your face.
Use a diffuser, curler or curling iron to make your hair wavy
Step 4. Avoid neat ponytails
Smooth, tight ponytails can make your facial features look sharper and tougher. As a result, your nose will appear even larger.
When you tuck your hair into a ponytail or do up-do hairstyles, give it a slightly messy look. Gather your hair at the top of your head and release a few strands to frame your face in delicate curls
Step 5. Make a side parting. The center section will be directly above your nose, extending the straight line of your nose and drawing more attention to a specific part of your face
Unlike the center, the lateral part compensates for the lines of your face, smoothing them out and making the nose less prominent
Step 6. Play with bangs
It can help hide a large nose, but you should generally avoid coarse bangs with sharp angles. Straight lines will only draw more attention to the straight line of your nose.
When trimming your bangs, consider curved bangs that will smooth out the corners of your face, or think thin bangs that will also soften the lines on your face
Step 7. Avoid facial hair
While bangs can help you with a big nose, not having facial hair can help a lot more, especially if you don't like how bangs fit into your face shape.
- The idea is to balance your facial features with each other. When hair covers your forehead or cheeks, your facial features are lost while your nose remains very visible. As a result, the nose appears to take up more space on your face. By removing hair from your face, you will solve this problem.
- For this reason, people who want to hide a large nose should avoid mustaches and beards. Having a lot of hair on your face can visually enlarge your nose.
Part 4 of 4: Accessories
Step 1. Choose glasses with a wide and a low bridge
A lower bridge will more evenly divide the long vertical line of your nose, making the lower part of your nose - the part that is easily visible - appear smaller. A wide bridge of the bridge of the nose will create a stronger and more visible tear.
- Larger frames are generally a better option than smaller frames. Larger frames can compete with the size of your nose and help balance it, while smaller frames can draw more attention to the size of your nose.
- Another option is contact lenses. Since the glasses sit on the top of your nose, they draw some attention to that area of your face. Contact lenses will completely avoid this problem.
Step 2. Wear large earrings
Your ears and nose occupy the same horizontal space on your face. Short, dainty earrings can draw attention to this horizontal space, which includes your nose. Large earrings that extend below the ear enlarge the sides of this horizontal space, making the nose appear comparatively smaller.
- If you don't want to wear long earrings, opt for at least short earrings that completely encircle the earlobes. This will draw more attention to the sides of this horizontal space and take it away from your nose.
- Rounded earrings that take up both horizontal and vertical space are better than earrings that only increase vertical space. Earrings that emphasize straight, vertical lines will also emphasize the straight vertical line of the nose.
Step 3. Select a wide brimmed hat
Both men and women should look for hats that are rounded or tilted down the center of the face. Brims that hang over the face can visually reduce the forehead. As a result, the nose appears to be shorter and more proportional.
- Avoid "triangular" hats that are pointed over the forehead.
- Hats that have larger front brims than back brims can hide the forehead better than hats with even brims.
- Make sure the top of the hat is not too tight against the front of your face. Ideally, it should be of medium height to maintain visual balance, and it should not taper too much towards the top.
- Try a hat with a wide, colorful stripe above the brim. This streak can also divert attention away from your nose.