Among hipsters and fans of the indie style, independence of judgment, a light aura of nonconformism, faith in progressive political movements (not necessarily liberalism), good taste in art and cinema, erudition, creativity and wit are valued. And also music. Indie is the kind of rock that you most likely can only learn from those who are cooler than you.
Step 1. Experiment
Change your lifestyle to one that is more in line with your character. Indie movement implies self-confidence and indifference to the opinions of others.
Step 2. Change your clothing style
Clothes are an important part of your look, so it's worth starting with them. Indie fans usually look like they've put on the first thing that comes to hand, but in fact, they also think carefully about their looks. Here are some tips for indie clothing:
- Outerwear. Wear T-shirts with the names of your favorite bands, quirky pictures, or ironic language. Your clothes should reflect your personality. Don't shop in popular brand stores - look for something unique. In the cold season, huge sweaters of any color and with any pattern will do. Cardigans are also a good option, but they should be several sizes larger. Flannel shirts are always trendy.
- We go below. Nothing complicated here - the narrower the jeans, the better. Get lots of different skinny jeans in navy blue, black and gray. If you want some variety, corduroy pants will also fit into an indie look. For skirts and shorts, go for a high waist.
- You won't be indie until you have indie shoes. Almost any will do, but the best option is moccasins, topsides, multi-colored ballet flats, jockey boots and sneakers. In fact, it's hard to go wrong with shoes.
Step 3. Decorations
Once you have the foundation for your look, it's time to get down to the details. Indie girls love to use accessories. Long earrings of all shapes and sizes, bracelets, original watches and any jewelry made with your own hands. The bandages should not be tied at the top of the head, but at the level of the forehead. If it gets chilly, wrap yourself in a scarf. Fancy jewelry can be purchased at etsy.com. Oversized, thick-rimmed glasses are a good choice. Don't you wear glasses? It was like that before. Glasses without diopters can now be purchased almost anywhere.
Step 4. Last but not least, outerwear
Pea coats are popular among indie fans. It's good if double-breasted, but single-breasted will work too. If it's not very cold outside, feel free to wear a hoodie or sweatshirt with witty slogans.
Step 5. Hair should be natural
Don't dye them every week, much less straighten them every day. If your hair is straight, do not curl it on purpose, if it is curly, leave the curls. Makeup shouldn't be conspicuous either.
Step 6. Decorations
Better if they are made by hand. Rings are required.
Step 7. Don't waste your money
Sew clothes yourself, alter old clothes.
Step 8. Eat right
It will do you good anyway.
Step 9. Read
Books make our brains work much more actively than computers, so pick a book and go read.
Step 10. Blog
Register on blogspot, tumblr or any other suitable service.
Step 11. Photography is a popular hobby in indie circles
Step 12. Be kind to everyone
But choose your friends wisely.
- Clothes and jewelry can be expensive. Keep track of your budget!
- There will always be people who don't like you. Ignore them.