Data entry is the translation of information from one form to another. Most businesses today need to enter some type of data, from financial numbers to email addresses, articles, and text transcripts of audio recordings. Most data entry tasks require computer skills and relatively simple programs. In educational courses or other training programs, you can gain the skills you need to start a career in data entry. In this article, you will learn how to learn how to enter data.
Method 1 of 2: Basic Qualifications for a Data Entry Officer
Step 1. Get a high school diploma
To be accepted into further training programs or recruited, many organizations require you to be at least 16 and complete high school education.
Step 2. Professionally master the English language and mathematics
In Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, you can find data entry operator vacancies that do not require knowledge of English, but since this specialty is not yet so popular with us, you have a better chance of finding a remote job in a foreign company if you know English. To meet all the qualifications, you must understand English text and solve basic math problems, as many data entry majors require you to create formulas in spreadsheets. Sign up for an English or basic mathematics course, or go to college to obtain this qualification.
Step 3. Master a personal computer at a basic level
Take a computer course if you don't know how to use email, Microsoft Office, or especially spreadsheets.
Step 4. Sign up for a computer typing class
Many data entry jobs are billed by the hour or per project, so your typing speed will determine how much you can earn. Learn to type blindly online or in courses to increase your words per minute.
Method 2 of 2: Learning Data Entry
Step 1. Apply for a data entry specialist job that offers training
In your first data entry job, your employer may want to take you on training for a few months to teach you how to work with a certain type of program. These jobs are often low-paying, so you may need to supplement your on-the-job training with certificates of other skills.
Step 2. Sign up for a data entry course or educational program
Find information about online programs that will give you proof of qualifications, from a one-subject certificate to a diploma after completing a 2-year course. Look for the following courses in the program subject list.
- Data processing course. To pass this course, you will need to type at least 25 words per minute. You will learn how to type and format text as efficiently as possible and organize it as best as possible.
- Microsoft course. Students must learn to work with all aspects of the basic Windows system, including Word, Excel, Access, and even PowerPoint.
- Accounting course. He teaches students to capture basic financial data and formulas in spreadsheets. Students will learn how to make calculations and organize accounting.
- Computing course on a computer. This similar course teaches more advanced computing techniques that can be used in many programs. Together with basic mathematics, this course will give you enough mathematical knowledge to work with data entry.
Step 3. Earn an associate degree in medicine or law
These two areas have specific terms and requirements. Often, qualifications or experience in one of these areas is required to become a medical or legal data entry specialist.
- The more complex work with medical data is the billing and coding of medical bills. This kind of work is very common in countries with health insurance. To do this kind of work, it is usually necessary to have an associate degree, as it will improve your prospects and salary. Billing and coding specialists study the information required to file medical bills with insurance companies.
- Legal data entry can be a valuable addition to the still expanding legal profession. You may be required to transcribe (transcribe) complex legal documents in the office or at home. To be eligible to engage in legal data entry, you must have completed at least an associate's degree.
Step 4. Get experience and take on various data entry jobs
To work from home or receive a high salary, you must have accurate and fast completed projects with positive feedback. If you meet the basic qualifications for a data entry job, practice may be enough for you to gain the rest of the skills you need.