Modern apartments often have low ceilings. If you have a low ceiling and you feel a little cramped and uncomfortable from it, then you can use the techniques of visually increasing the ceiling height given in this article.
Step 1. Paint the ceiling white
White creates a sense of height and volume and is highly reflective, resulting in a sense of spaciousness and the illusion of high ceilings. There are two points of view about what color should be: glossy or matte. Consider both of these versions, and you yourself decide which one suits you best:
- The renowned and authoritative interior design blog Apartment Therapy states that gloss or semi-gloss paint is ideal for visually increasing ceiling heights, as it is highly reflective and these reflections create a sense of height and extra space.
- On the other hand, the Art & Home portal claims that matte paint is better, because it creates the feeling of a floating ceiling, making it less noticeable along with all the irregularities and roughness, as it were, dissolving into the matte finish.
Step 2. Use light shades other than pure white to paint the ceiling
White is not always the ideal color for a room, and it is not at all necessary to paint the ceiling with white paint. Choose cool tones, especially shades of the pastel spectrum. It is important that the color of the ceiling is lighter than the color of the walls.
Step 3. Use vertical patterns to enhance the effect of visually increasing the height of the ceiling
In particular, pay attention to the walls; a visual increase in height can be achieved with vertical stripes on the walls. Vertical stripes can be used both when painting and when using wallpaper with a vertical pattern. Vertical stripes will help to visually increase the height of the ceilings. …
Step 4. Avoid using any protruding volumetric elements on the ceiling
A low ceiling looks most impressive while remaining perfectly flat and level. Any protruding elements, as a rule, visually lower the ceiling. This means that ceiling fans, moldings and chandeliers are not recommended in rooms with low ceilings.
Try to use skirting boards as thin and narrow as possible. It is believed that skirting boards should be no wider than 4-6 cm
Step 5. It is recommended to give preference to the use of wall lamps, replacing them with a chandelier
You can also use lighting along the perimeter of the ceiling, but in no case install recessed lights, as they will create an uneven distribution of light and, thereby, visually reduce the height of the ceilings.
Step 6. Use window decorations to enhance the visual increase in ceiling heights
Hang curtains or drapes from the ceiling to the floor on the windows. This will emphasize the vertical dimension and give the room a sense of height.
Step 7. Hang the paintings high, right under the ceiling
This will create a visual illusion of the height of the ceilings. Give preference to paintings and photographs with vertical images, avoiding horizontal orientation. Note that the artwork is hung high in the introduction image.
Step 8. Use large mirrors that cover most of the wall
They tend to give the impression of high ceilings and work almost flawlessly in any interior.
Step 9. Use a color that imitates natural materials, which have a lighter tone in the upper part
Paint the walls of the room using two shades that blend into each other using a sponge or burlap abrasion method so that the color gradually lightens from floor to ceiling. This will create the visual effect of increasing the volume of the room and the illusion of high ceilings.
- Avoid cluttering rooms with low ceilings. Each additional item in the room will add a feeling of being cramped and cramped. Use compact cabinets and keep them clean and tidy.
- Even furniture can affect the visual perception of ceiling heights. Try to use low furniture around the perimeter of the room to create the feeling of a greater distance from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling.
- If your ceiling has bumps, dents and roughness, then keep in mind that glossy paint will only highlight all these flaws.