The kitchen is one of the most important rooms in the house as it is the place where the whole family gathers to chat and dine, prepares food and discusses the latest news. There are many ways to decorate your kitchen and make it warmer and more cozy. In this article, you will find some helpful tips on how to do this.
Method 1 of 3: Small changes
Step 1. Get rid of unnecessary things
You, like many other people, may experience an overabundance of detail. Inspect your kitchen critically. Doesn't it seem cluttered with unnecessary things to you? You can easily get rid of this problem by removing a few unnecessary things from the kitchen, or rearrange the kitchen furniture so that these things do not catch your eye. This will make the kitchen look more spacious.
If you can't take all your appliances out of sight with the dishwasher due to the lack of free storage space, get a cabinet or several containers for your belongings
Step 2. Color the kitchen to make it cozy
If your walls are white, like iris flowers, you risk turning the kitchen into a hospital room with cold, inhospitable walls. Add some bold colors to make her look warm, homely and beloved by her mistress.
Select items to color. This could be seating, lighting, a work surface, or something else. In addition, you can use more than one color, but a combination of several shades, they will look good together and eliminate the need to dwell on a particular color
Step 3. Add fresh flowers
Plants and flowers are great decorations for any room, and they also help create a favorable indoor climate. It can be a pot with fresh herbs on the windowsill or a glass vase with fresh cut flowers on the kitchen table.
- Make sure the flowers match with your décor. A minimalist kitchen with a neutral color scheme will benefit from a few lilies, while a brighter and more creative design will accentuate a bunch of daisies or carnations. So which flower do you think best reflects the "spirit" of your kitchen?
- Herbs are not grown in factories. To kill two birds with one stone, start growing them on your kitchen windowsill in flowerpots. Thus, you can not only decorate the kitchen, but also diversify your food.
Step 4. Decorate the refrigerator with magnets
For those who do not have the money for a gold countertop inlaid with rubies, a fridge decorated with trinkets can be an excellent solution. There are many ways to do this, it all depends on your personal preference.
Life is made up of little things. Buy a bunch of letter-shaped magnets and leave a message to your neighbor or family member about how fun you had the evening, or use magnets to attach photos from your favorite trip to the fridge. Unless, of course, the magnets fall off along with the photographs
Step 5. Use the texture of the materials to your advantage
Perhaps, when you take a quick look at your kitchen, the space seems to be somehow two-dimensional and flat. To make your kitchen countertop look more voluminous and spacious, work with textures.
Use patterned containers, tablecloths, curtains, and wallpaper with three-dimensional draperies. With the world on a string, as they say, and you will be in contrast with a smooth work surface and kitchen table
Step 6. Add unusual fittings
The times when the kitchen was just a kitchen have long sunk into oblivion. Now the living room is turning into a dining room, the kitchen is a gathering place, and the dining room can be used for performances. This does not mean that you need to change your lifestyle, it is only about decorating the kitchen with items that are not usually used for this.
A Chinese secretaire, wardrobe or chest of drawers are perfect for this purpose. If you have any of this - make it a trend in your kitchen. You can also put bookshelves, benches or other multifunctional furniture. Experiment, after all, this is your kitchen
Step 7. Change kitchen utensils
In order for the design to be consistent with the same concept, choose curtains, a tablecloth and a hand towel of the same color and texture. The most difficult thing here is to choose everything according to the color scheme.
Step 8. Change the design depending on the season
Give your kitchen a festive look by spreading beautiful tablecloths, removing beautiful saucers from the sideboard, washing and hanging fresh curtains. Find something that captures the essence of your kitchen, and as the seasons change, create the mood you want with colorful kitchen utensils.
This has another advantage - hung, changed, and then thoroughly washed and cleaned. As a rule, things get dirty in the kitchen, it is one of the most polluted areas in the house, and if you periodically clean your dishes, curtains and tablecloths, they will remain like new
Method 2 of 3: Dramatic Change
Step 1. Create shelves
If your cupboards are already full to the top and you have nowhere to put your kitchen utensils, there are several ways to solve the problem:
- Hanging shelves. Wall-mounted and eye-catching, this is the perfect solution for a small kitchen that will distract from the clutter of things in the rest of the room.
- Shelves in the wall. Recently, a rather original trend has appeared, which consists in the fact that a rectangular depression is made in the wall, which serves as a shelf. It looks very creative and practical since it does not take up the kitchen area. Each shelf can be decorated with colored paints or colored paper. This is a real innovation in kitchen design.
Step 2. Focus on some color
Not necessarily sophisticated, you can stick to black and white or pastel colors. You can decorate the kitchen in one color, but add another as an accent. It may be light yellow, or it may be pale blue. In this simple way, you can distract your eyes from the size of the kitchen, as they will be riveted on the catchy color details.
- Match dishes, towels and trim in this color. But do not forget that you use this color to create accents. If there is too much of it in the interior, it will merge with it and will not fulfill its function. So stick with 4-5 color details in the interior.
- Three words: Simple. Color in. Ceiling.
Step 3. Get rid of the doors
This goes for your lockers and drawers. Of course, this means that perfect order should reign in them, but this can be achieved with the help of special containers for storing all sorts of things and beautiful glass vases. This is another opportunity to showcase kitchen decor.
The idea is that you open up everything. The more you open your eyes, the more they will see. This means that visually the room will become larger
Step 4. Use mirrors
Just because you're in the kitchen doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want with it. And since, as you probably well know, mirrors visually expand the space, so why not take advantage of this? This does not mean that it should be in a conspicuous place, place it opposite the cabinets to get the visual effect of expanding the kitchen area.
Framed mirrors can also do a great job and make a great decor item
Step 5. Paint the walls or cabinets
The color of the room helps create a sense of warmth and coziness. So freshen up the room by decorating it with a coat of paint on the wall or cabinets. White is considered the most popular color, but you can opt for pale blue or yellow if the white room does not seem attractive to you.
- Use neutral colors to decorate your kitchen. While grays, whites, and cream can appear dull and dull, the mix of neutral colors will add depth and dimension to a classic and simple interior. Don't be afraid to sound trivial by using only a few shades.
- Place your accents. Paint three walls with one color and the fourth with another. The eye will involuntarily pay attention to this. If you have a window or other area that might attract attention, paint the wall in that area with a different color.
Step 6. Add splash and grease protection
If you have white walls that get dirty as you cook, you may feel dissatisfied. To avoid such disappointments, attach a special panel to the wall above the work surface to prevent stains on the walls. Moreover, this panel can be of any shape and color.
It is easiest to make the panel in one color, but the tiles and patterns can also do a great job. With tiles, you can change the texture of a smooth and even wall.
If you already have a tile, buy special stickers for it. This way you can protect it from contamination
Step 7. Play with lighting
In fact, you have a huge field to choose from. Depending on which electrical system you have, your kitchen can be illuminated with different fixtures, each of which will add its own flavor to the interior.
- Experiment with table lamps. They can create a sense of home comfort. If you want something original, make a lamp from a Christmas garland placed in a glass jar.
- Make built-in lamps in and under cabinets. Not only will your backlit furniture look very nice, but even with such dim lighting, you will not need to turn on the "big light". In short, it will help create a romantic atmosphere and will be highly functional overall.
- Get a beautiful chandelier. Even if you don't have much space, a beautiful chandelier with an original shade can become the center of everyone's attention and distract from imperfections. You can also purchase many small floor lamps for lighting instead of a chandelier.
- Buy a sconce. If you don't have room for a large chandelier or lamps built into furniture, a sconce can be a good way out. They are easy enough to attach to the wall and can more than illuminate the room well.
Step 8. Concentrate on one thing
Decorating a kitchen can be a super daunting task if you try to change everything at once. Set yourself one task, for example, paint furniture and walls or buy new dishes, and until you do that, do not take on something else. You can do the rest later if it seems to you that the already available decor elements are not enough for you.
This will help you understand when to stop and when to continue. Sometimes, accents and new utensils are enough to change the look of your kitchen. Create a list of things you would like to change and gradually implement it
Method 3 of 3: Choose a topic
Step 1. Decide on the style of your kitchen
Very many people completely in vain do not attach importance to the choice of decor themes. They like completely different things, which they try to combine in one small kitchen space, without thinking about how it will look. So decide on the topic - and 80% of the success is in your pocket.
It is very important that the design creates a sense of integrity. This can be achieved by deciding on the theme and choosing the decor elements that will match it. Some furniture stores sell ready-made kitchen kits, selected for styles such as country, french or art deco
Step 2. Try the ultramodern style
If you like bright, catchy things, this might be exactly what you need. Sharp corners, black and white decor, diluted with bright colors. This kitchen will be decorated with stainless steel or glass fittings in the form of geometric shapes.
Step 3. Marine theme
Quite common, it should be noted. A kind of classic of the genre. Regardless of whether you live on the coast or want to bring a piece of the sea to your home, the nautical style is homely and cozy.
Fill your shelves with seashells, fishing tackle and sea views. Work with shades of tan, beige and blue. Ropes, nets and things with which you go to the beach will also look interesting as a decor
Step 4. Try country style
If you like warm, dark colors, wood décor can do you well. Think dark wood cabinets, wooden crockery, scented bowls, citrus fruits, and mahogany furniture.
Step 5. Color themes
If monotonous design isn't for you, try color. Shades can make a kitchen interesting! Blue chairs, dishes, cupboards … Just make sure you don't get bored with it.