Keep in mind that carpet is expensive, so if you're not sure you can steam clean it yourself, don't do it. If the carpet is not cleaned properly, it can be ruined or made to get dirty even faster. Read our article to learn how to steam clean your carpet.
Method 1 of 2: Preparing for Steam Cleaning
Step 1. Go to Carpet-Rug.org and take a look at the list of portable steam cleaners
The technicians on this site test the steam cleaners and rate them for how well they remove dirt, dry, and keep the coating intact. You will, of course, need a device that will remove dirt and moisture as much as possible, and will not damage the carpet.
- Try to choose a cleaner that will dry your carpet within 12 hours. Excessive moisture can damage the carpet and cause mold.
- If the steam cleaner is weak and does not remove the cleaning agent from the carpet, your carpet will become dirty again in a fairly short time.
Step 2. Choose a cleaning time so that the carpet dries as quickly as possible
Excessive humidity on the street is of no use to us.
Step 3. Use a small amount of cleaning solution
Its acidity (pH) should be no more than 10, so as not to damage the surface of the carpet.
Step 4. Remove furniture and other items from the carpet
Clear your work front so you can see all the dirty places.
Method 2 of 2: How to use a steam cleaner
Step 1. Fill the steam cleaner with hot water
Step 2. Add the cleaning agent to it according to the manufacturer's instructions
Step 3. Start cleaning the carpet from a location as far away from the door as possible, and work in the opposite direction so that you do not walk on the cleaned surface
Step 4. Try to make the most of the cleaner by walking across the carpet several times
Step 5. Rinse off the cleaner with water
It should not be left in the carpet, as dirt and dust will begin to stick to it.
Step 6. Turn on the air conditioners and fans in the room to help the carpet dry faster
Turn on a dehumidifier if you have one.
- If you need to walk on the carpet while it is still damp, wear clean socks or plastic bags over your shoes.
- If you need to put your furniture back on the rug before it dries completely, then place it on the styrofoam pieces. Otherwise, you could stain the carpet with furniture paint.
- Never use more detergent than recommended by the manufacturer. Dirt will adhere more quickly to residues in the carpet.
- Read the warranty terms for your carpet before steam cleaning it yourself. Some carpets require special cleaning, otherwise the warranty may be void. Also, cleaning with bleach and some other bleach can discolor the carpet.