If the door of your refrigerator does not close tightly, then it has worn out the gasket (rubber seal, thanks to which the door can be closed), or you just need to tighten your door a little. Depending on the reason, you may need to completely replace the door gasket, or simply tighten the screws on the door hinges, or use pegs (wedges, or other materials with which you can align the door) between the door hinges.
Method 1 of 2: Replacing the gasket
Step 1. Make sure your old gasket is worn out and needs replacing
- Place a thin piece of paper between the door and the gasket.
- Remove the paper from the opening. If the paper gets out without much resistance, then the problem lies in the worn out gasket.
Step 2. Determine the type of gasket that will fit your refrigerator model
- Find the instructions for your refrigerator to determine its model. You can find it inside, or on the instruction sheet.
- If you cannot determine the model of the refrigerator, contact the manufacturer by visiting their website, or by calling them on the phone.
- You can also cut off a piece of the old gasket and go with it to the refrigerator parts store or service center. If you have to wait for a new gasket to arrive, you can put a piece of the old gasket back in place using glue or putty.
Step 3. Buy a new gasket
You can order a new gasket from the manufacturer, or in specialized stores of household appliances, or spare parts for household appliances.
Step 4. Prepare a new refrigerator pad
The gasket must be at the correct temperature to work properly with your refrigerator.
- Read the instructions for the gasket, if any, to learn how to prepare it for installation on the refrigerator.
- If there are no instructions with it, just leave the pad for 24 hours in the same room as the refrigerator so that it lies in the same humidity and temperature as the old pad.
- You can also put the pad in warm water to make it flexible enough so that you can safely put it on the refrigerator.
Step 5. Remove the old gasket from the refrigerator
Removal methods may differ, as the gasket can be adhered to the refrigerator door using glue or special fasteners.
- Examine the old pad to determine how it is holding to the refrigerator. It may have adhesive strips, screws, or holders that hold it to the refrigerator.
- Use the right tools and techniques to remove the old gasket. For example, if the gasket is held by screws, use a screwdriver to remove them. If the gasket is stuck, use a sharp knife to carefully separate it from the surface of the refrigerator.
- Carefully and gradually separate the gasket from the refrigerator. This way, you will make sure to remove all the parts that were holding it so that the pieces of the gasket do not come off and remain on the surface.
Step 6. Clean up where the new gasket should be
This will remove any remnants of the old gasket such as glue or dirt that might interfere with the installation of a new gasket.
Use a sponge with a cleanser and warm water to remove any glue residue. You can also use a metal sponge to remove any glue residue that is very difficult to remove
Step 7. Get the materials needed to install the new gasket
Depending on the manufacturer of the refrigerator and the gasket, the tools required for installation may vary.
Follow the instructions on the new gasket to determine what you need to install it; for example screwdrivers, duct tape, or special glue
Step 8. Install a new gasket on the refrigerator door
- Install the spacer gradually, making sure each part fits snugly.
- Smooth down the new gasket so that there are no bumps or unevenness on it, and its surface fits snugly against the door.
- Use the tools specified by the manufacturer to secure the gasket to the door, such as bolts, screws, glue, or special putty.
- If you are using glue, or a special putty, you will have to wait until it dries before opening and closing the refrigerator door again.
Method 2 of 2: Tighten the door hinges
Step 1. Determine how to tighten the door hinges
The procedure may differ depending on the model and manufacturer of your refrigerator.
- Read the instructions for your refrigerator to find out how to properly tighten the door hinges on it. If you have no instructions left, then contact the manufacturer through their website, or download a copy of the instructions for your refrigerator from there.
- In most cases, you will be able to see the hinges by opening the refrigerator door. You will have to remove the protective caps from the screws in order to tighten them.
Step 2. Pull up the refrigerator door hinges
Use a screwdriver or other special tool to tighten the hinges
Step 3. Use pegs to fix other door problems
You may need to peg under the hinges if your door does not close tightly even after tightening the screws.
- Such pegs can be purchased at specialty refrigerator stores or service centers for household appliances. You can use old hinges from other cabinets to get the wedges out of there.
- In some cases, you will have to remove the wedges that were not installed correctly to correct problems with the door closing.
- If your door has a magnet that doesn't work, remove it and replace it with a new one so that the door can close tightly again.