In the United States, air conditioners consume up to 20 percent of all electricity consumed. If you want to save money or help the environment, you can make your own air conditioner with a square fan and ice box, or with a fan and radiator. You will learn about this from our article.
Method 1 of 2: How to make an air conditioner with a fan and ice box
Step 1. Remove the outer side mesh from your square fan
Step 2. Attach a piece of copper tubing with a diameter of 6 mm to this mesh
Attach it in concentric circles starting at the center of the mesh.
- Attach the end of the tube to the center of the mesh with a cable tie.
- Bend the tube into a small ring. Then continue bending the tube around the first ring until you have multiple rings. Attach the tubing to the mesh with cable ties.
You need to make more rings from the copper tube. Just don't overdo it. There should be enough rings for air to pass freely through them.
Step 3. Place the mesh back on the fan
Step 4. Now take a flexible plastic tubing with a diameter of 9 mm and attach it to the fountain pump
Attach the other end of the tubing to one of the ends of the copper tubing attached to the mesh. Tubes that are used for aquariums are ideal for this.
Step 5. Take a water pipe putty and make two strips of it.
Wrap one strip around the pump hose connection to the plastic tubing and the other around the copper tubing connection on the mesh.
Step 6. Attach another flexible tube to the other end of the copper tube on the fan mesh.
Also wrap a strip of water pipe putty around the joint.
Step 7. Wait about an hour for the putty to dry.
Step 8. Fill the ice crate with ice water
Lower the free end of the second plastic tube into it.
Step 9. Place the fountain pump in the drawer.
Step 10. Place a towel under the fan
It will collect condensation that will form on the rings of the copper tube.
Step 11. Turn on the pump and fan
Method 2 of 2: Make an air conditioner out of a radiator
Step 1. Before using the radiator, it needs to be cleaned
You can wash it with soapy water and then let it air dry.
Step 2. Place the fan behind the heatsink
You may need to place something under the fan to keep it as close to the radiator as possible.
Step 3. Take a piece of long hose and attach it to the water tap
Step 4. Attach the other end of the hose to the radiator
You may need to choose a hose size that fits the radiator. The hose must be long enough to reach the tap.
Step 5. If you will be making an air conditioner in your country house or in the village, then attach the hose to your garden hose by passing it through the window
You may need to make a small hole in the window for this.
Step 6. Roll the garden hose into rings and place a rag over it to insulate it
Wrap the place of its connection with the main hose with electrical tape.
Step 7. Connect another long hose to the radiator
- The other end of the hose should be in a sink, outdoors in a barrel, or in a rainwater trough.
- If you drain water into a barrel or gutter, then you need to make sure that if they overflow, then water will not enter your basement. Place a bucket under the gutter to use the water for irrigation.
Step 8. Install a small valve in the plastic hose through which water will flow into the radiator
- Install the valve 15 cm from the connection of the hose to the radiator.
- Check that the hose from which the water will flow is connected to the corresponding radiator hose.
- Check that the hose that will bring water to the radiator from a faucet or garden hose is properly connected.
Step 9. Fully open the valve that you installed on the hose
Then turn on a tap or garden hose.
Step 10. Turn on the fan
When you don't need it, don't forget to turn it off and close all the taps.