When water is ionized, its pH level rises, that is, it becomes more alkaline and less acidic. Ionization allows you to neutralize acidic water or make neutral water more alkaline. Although the debate about the benefits of alkaline water continues to this day, most scientists disagree that water with a pH of 8, 5-9, 5 can have positive effects on health in the long term.
Part 1 of 2: Different Ways to Ionize Water
Step 1. Use a water ionizer
The most common way to get ionized water at home is to use a special device. The water ionizer is connected to a water supply system, for example, to a faucet in the kitchen. Some models allow you to obtain water at a given pH level.
- In an electric ionizer, the electric charge of water molecules is changed under the influence of a small voltage.
- Water ionizers are quite expensive. Their price can range from ten to several hundred thousand rubles.
- If you have purchased such an ionizer that is connected to a tap, you can install it yourself, without the help of a plumber.
- If the ionizer needs to be connected directly to the water pipe and you have no experience with this kind of work, you may need the help of a plumber.
Step 2. Pass the water through bioceramic filters
Bioceramic filters are made of special materials (clay, stone, etc.), which allows you to create a magnetic field in the water. The manufacturers of these filters claim that the magnetic particles of magnetite and cobalt contained in the clay change the electrical charge of the water.
- Some proponents of these filters claim to provide significant health benefits.
- However, there is little scientific evidence that drinking alkaline water can provide significant health benefits.
- If using this method, check the pH of the water before drinking it.
- Most filters are in the form of inserts in jugs and other water containers. It is necessary to fill in water and wait until it seeps through the filter.
Step 3. Add drops to the water to alkalize the water (pH drops)
One easy way to get a small volume of alkaline water is to simply add the pH drop to it. There are many types of these drops available commercially, and all of them indicate that they raise the pH of the water. This method is good if you need to get some alkaline water for drinking, but it is not suitable for other purposes (for example, to treat shower water).
- Use this method with caution and follow the directions on the drop packaging in everything.
- You may need 5 or 10 drops per liter of water, depending on the specific type of product.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose, and if you are taking any medications, consult your doctor first.
Step 4. Attach magnetic ionizers to the water pipes
Magnetic devices have long been used to “soften” water passing through pipes and reduce hard water deposits. Although magnetic ionizers have been in use for many decades, considerable doubts remain about their effectiveness. Currently, some believe that these devices can be used to ionize water and increase its alkalinity.
- Proponents of this method believe that when it flows through a pipe with a magnetic ionizer, water is charged.
- However, there is very little evidence in print that magnetic fields are capable of ionizing water.
- The magnets are very easy to attach to the water pipe and often don't even require any tools.
Step 5. Use a Batch Water Ionizer
Typically, such devices allow ionizing about 4 liters of water at a time. If you need to process more than one glass of water at a time, but you do not want to ionize all the water in your home, the Batch Water Ionizer is for you.
- It is enough to fill the portioned ionizer with tap water, plug it in and press the start button.
- Follow the instructions that came with the device.
Part 2 of 2: The Ionized Water Controversy
Step 1. Check the pH of your drinking water with test strips
Dip the strip into the water (do not move or stir the water). After about 5 seconds, remove the strip from the water and wait another 5-10 seconds. When the test strip changes color, compare it to the attached spectrum and determine the pH of the water.
- Typically, the pH of tap water is around 7. If it is below 7, the water is acidic, and if it is higher, it is alkaline.
- Proponents of the idea that alkaline water is good for health believe that the pH level of water should be 8, 5-9, 5.
Step 2. Don't expect great health benefits
If you are hoping to improve your health and wellness with ionized water, you need to spend a little time researching this issue. This is especially important if you are going to purchase an expensive water ionization device. Proponents of ionized water claim that it helps neutralize acids found in food and drinks and increases body tone and energy.
- However, the effect of ionized water is difficult to quantify, and scientists believe there is insufficient evidence to support its benefits.
- The human body has autonomous mechanisms that keep the pH level within a fairly narrow range.
- Whatever the pH level of food or drink when it enters the body, at the exit from it it is 6, 8.
- Scientific studies have been conducted in South Korea and Japan, the results of which challenge the idea that ionized water helps to heal and prevent disease.
Step 3. Consult your doctor
Some scientists have complained about the lack of clinical research that can help confirm or disprove the benefits of ionized water. If you are interested in using ionized water, talk to your doctor. You should consult your doctor if you are taking any medications or are pregnant.
- There are many other names for ionized water, such as oxidized, structured or light water.
- ORP meters (redox potential meters) allow you to determine the level of water ionization by the released oxygen molecules.