It can be expensive to buy detergent, especially if you have a large family and do your laundry frequently. To cut costs, some people have come to the conclusion that using a liquid dish soap can be a good substitute. It costs much less than laundry detergent and can clean clothes just as well. However, it is important to remember that you will need a lot less dishwashing detergent than washing powder. If you add too much, the washing machine will overflow with bubbles. Otherwise, washing clothes with liquid dishwashing detergent is no different than using powder detergent.
Method 1 of 2: Prepare your dirty laundry
Step 1. Buy dishwashing detergent
Before you can wash your clothes with dishwashing liquid, you need to purchase one. There is no need to worry about the brand or type when buying, as almost any option will work great. Therefore, first, go to a household chemicals store and find a product with a pleasant smell for you.
- Make sure the dishwashing detergent is chlorine free.
- You can purchase dishwashing detergent in any scent you like.
- You can also try adding your own scent, such as using lavender oil.
Step 2. Place dirty clothes in the washing machine
Collect the dirty laundry as usual. Select the clothes you want to wash and put them in the washing machine. Keep in mind some of the standard tips below to keep your garment intact:
- do not mix light and dark things;
- Heavy clothing, such as jeans or towels, should be separated from lighter items.
- do not wash brightly colored clothes with white linen.
Step 3. Set the correct temperature
Even though dish detergent will not affect the temperature setting, you still need to choose the right temperature. Higher temperatures can clean clothes better than lower temperatures. However, high temperatures can easily damage clothing. Here are some basic tips to help you preserve your clothes while washing:
- for delicate and ultra-delicate modes, washing and rinsing should be carried out in cold water;
- clothes of persistent colors can be washed in warm water with a cold or warm rinse;
- for persistent white clothes, wash in hot water and rinse in cold water.
Step 4. Choose the correct mode
Selecting a mode will help keep your clothes clean and prevent unnecessary wear and tear from washing. Longer modes are great for heavily soiled garments, but they can damage delicate garments. The faster settings work well for lightly soiled items and delicate garments. Here are some basic tips to help you find the right wash cycle:
- A quick wash is great for not-so-dirty clothes or items you want to wear soon.
- Pre-soaking will additionally wet the garment, which will help break down the dirt.
- The Extra Delicate mode will help keep pressure on all items inside the washing machine.
- Intensive mode - used for heavily soiled items, the cycle time increases. Not suitable for delicate fabrics.
- The delicate mode is used for delicate items that can be easily damaged during washing.
- An extra rinse will add another rinse cycle at the end of the wash, ensuring your garment is clean.
Method 2 of 2: Wash your clothes with dish soap
Step 1. Measure out the required amount of dish soap
Do not add the same amount of detergent as when using detergent powder. If you add too much dish soap, it will foam and spill out of the washing machine. Always add the correct amount of detergent when using it for washing to prevent big mess.
- Add 1 teaspoon on a small load.
- Add 2 teaspoons at medium load.
- Add 3 teaspoons on a large load.
Step 2. Add dish detergent and start washing
After you have measured out the correct amount of dish soap, you can add it to the washing machine. Do this in the same way as with laundry detergent. Then let the washing machine do its thing.
Step 3. Dry your clothes
After the washing machine has finished the wash cycle, it is time to dry the clothes. Do this in the same way as if you were taking out the laundry after washing with detergent. Enjoy fresh, clean clothes and money saved by using dishwashing detergent to wash your clothes.
Do not add too much detergent as water may spill out of the washing machine
You will need
- Dishwashing liquid
- Dirty laundry