Many women complain of sagging skin around the neck. This sagging skin is called "turkey neck". Sagging is often caused by the deposition of subcutaneous fat. If this problem has not spared you, the situation is not hopeless. To remove fat from the neck, it is necessary to approach this problem in a comprehensive manner. The right diet and exercise routine will help you achieve your ideal weight. Since it is impossible to remove fat from just one problem area, it is important to get rid of excess weight in general. Under this condition, you will be able to remove fat from the neck. To do this, you will need to follow a properly selected diet and exercise. Unfortunately, it is not possible to solve this problem overnight. However, by following a healthy diet and exercise regimen, you will be able to minimize the problem of excess weight, as well as remove fat from the neck area.
Method 1 of 3: Changing Your Diet
Step 1. Reduce your calorie intake
First of all, you need to reduce your overall weight, no matter what problem area you are struggling with. By cutting down on your calorie intake, you can shed those extra pounds.
- If you want to lose weight, reduce your daily calorie intake by 500 units. Thanks to this, you can lose 0.5-1 kilograms per week.
- However, don't overdo it. By significantly reducing your calorie intake, you run the risk of slowing down the weight loss process because you will not be getting the recommended amount of nutrients your body needs.
- Use a food diary or a food diary app to help you keep track of your calorie intake throughout the day. Then subtract 500 calories. By cutting your diet by 500 calories, you can achieve the weight loss you desire.
Step 2. Include fruits and vegetables in your daily menu
Fruits and vegetables are low in calories. In addition, fruits and vegetables are a storehouse of vitamins, minerals and fiber that the body needs. If you want to cut down on your total calorie intake, follow this rule: half of your serving should be fruits and vegetables.
- It is recommended to consume about 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Include recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables in your daily menu.
- One serving of fruit is about 1/2 cup of chopped fruit or 1 small piece of fruit. One serving of vegetables is one to two cups of salad.
Step 3. Include healthy carbs in your diet
Whole grains are made up of three parts: bran, germ, and endosperm, and contain fiber and beneficial nutrients. When including grains in your diet, choose whole grains.
- Include the following whole grains in your diet: whole grain breads and noodles, brown rice, whole grain oats, quinoa, or barley.
- Refined carbohydrates (processed foods made from white flour) have low nutritional value.
- Fiber slows down the digestion process, making you feel full for a long period of time, thereby allowing your body to absorb the nutrients properly.
Step 4. Include lean protein in your diet
Lean protein is an essential part of many diets. It plays an important role for weight loss.
- Lean protein provides a greater feeling of fullness compared to other nutrients such as carbohydrates.
- Include 100 grams of protein with every meal. A serving of meat should be the size of a deck of playing cards or the palm of an adult.
- Include the following foods in your diet: low fat dairy, seafood, lean beef, poultry, eggs, legumes, and tofu.
Step 5. Drink plenty of fluids
The body needs water to function properly. Moisturized skin is not at risk of sagging.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Some people need to drink up to 13 glasses a day. The amount of fluid you need to drink depends on your weight, gender, and level of physical activity.
- Water also helps reduce appetite. Sometimes people confuse thirst with hunger, so instead of drinking a glass of water, they start eating, although this is not necessary.
- Prefer water and unsweetened drinks. Eliminate sugary juices and sodas from your diet. Sugary drinks tend to be high in empty calories.
- Avoid drinking drinks that dehydrate your body. These beverages include caffeinated beverages and alcohol.
Method 2 of 3: Physical Activity
Step 1. Do cardio exercises
Aerobic exercise (cardio exercise) helps you burn calories and maintain your weight.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends exercising about 150 minutes a week. You can devote 30 minutes of cardio every day, 5 days a week.
- Include a variety of exercises in your workout schedule: walking, running, cycling, elliptical trainer, swimming, or dancing.
- In addition to helping you lose weight and get in perfect shape, cardio exercises can help you improve your health, for example, it promotes wellness in diabetes, blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels.
Step 2. Include 2 strength training sessions in your training routine during the week
In addition to cardio exercise, strength training should be part of your weekly training regimen.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends devoting 2 days per week to 20 minutes of strength training. It is also recommended to perform a variety of exercises aimed at working out each muscle group (legs, chest, back, arms, and so on).
- Many activities can include strength training, including weight lifting, machine exercises, yoga, and Pilates.
Step 3. Avoid toning exercises for the neck muscles
There are a number of exercises for strengthening your neck muscles. However, very often such exercises have the exact opposite effect.
- While at first glance it may seem that such exercises can help you lose fat, in fact, on the contrary, they contribute to an increase in muscle mass in the neck. This will make your neck look fuller.
- As you lose extra weight, you will notice a decrease in the amount of fat in the neck area.
Method 3 of 3: Applying Skin Care Products
Step 1. Use sunscreen
In addition to diet and exercise, regularly use sunscreen to help prevent wrinkles and sagging skin that often occurs with age.
- Sunburn makes the skin wrinkled and old. In addition, they impair the appearance of the skin in the neck area.
- Use SPF 15 sunscreen all year round. This advice applies to both men and women. You may need a higher level of protection if you are in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
Step 2. Use a retinol face cream
There are a wide variety of retinol creams that can be purchased with or without a doctor's prescription. Retinol helps to stimulate collagen production and fight wrinkles successfully.
- When combined with sunscreen, proper drinking, diet and exercise, these creams can improve the appearance of loose, wrinkled neck skin.
- The treatments and creams used in beauty salons are considered the gold standard and generally give excellent results.
Step 3. Consider surgical options
If you are already following a diet, exercising, and using the right creams but are not seeing results, you may want to consider surgery to remove excess fat from your neck.
- There are various treatments available: liposuction, botox injections, laser treatments, and a neck lift.
- Consult with a dermatologist to select the appropriate treatment that will suit your body's needs and budget (some treatments are quite costly).
- Be sure to check with your doctor before starting a new diet or exercise regimen. The doctor will analyze your approach to losing weight and tell you if the course you have chosen is actually safe and suitable for you.
- Getting fat off your neck isn't easy. However, everything combined - diet, exercise and proper skin care - will bring the desired results.