Awkward situations can be very unpleasant and stressful if you don't know how to deal with them. We all face similar situations at some point in our lives, so it’s a good idea to learn how to get out of them. It doesn't matter what you are confronted with: whether you are embarrassed in a conversation, your date is not going well, or you accidentally offended someone - you can get out of this situation by staying calm, having an exit plan in advance, or using a sense of humor.
Method 1 of 5: How to get out of an awkward conversation
Step 1. Wait for a pause in the conversation
In conversations, there always comes a moment when speech is interrupted or a pause occurs. Usually at this point, to continue the conversation, they start a new topic. But this is also the most opportune moment to end it. To go to goodbye, you can use introductory words, for example, "so", "anyway", "good".
Step 2. Summarize the key points of the conversation
Before ending the conversation, summarize some of the main points so that the other person knows you were listening. At the same time, you will give the interlocutor a signal that you want to end the conversation. Try saying something like, “I really enjoyed talking to you, I didn't know you were also interested in science fiction! This is amazing! We have the same favorite movie with you!”
Step 3. What is the reason why it is time for you to leave
Make a final note on the topic, and then tell me why you need to leave. The reason doesn't have to be real, but it needs to be believable and urgent enough for you to leave immediately.
For example, if you are talking about a book, you might say, “Wow! I don't remember such a moment in the book! You need to reread it. Okay, it was great talking to you, but I have to go. I have to pick up my friend from work, and I'm already late. Have a nice day!"
Step 4. If you can't get away, try introducing your interlocutor to someone else
If you are at a party and do not want or cannot leave, you can end the conversation by introducing the person you are talking to to another person. Find someone you know and call them over to introduce you to the person you are talking to. After you introduce them, politely excuse yourself and tell them that you need to go to the bathroom or freshen up a little.
Think about what common interests they might have, what they might talk about with each other. For example, you can introduce people like this: “This is my friend Matvey. You have a lot in common! He was a striker on the high school soccer team!”
Method 2 of 5: What to do if you inadvertently insult someone
Step 1. Try to turn the whole thing into a joke
Turn the unintentional insult into a joke and try to laugh at your comment.
- Say, “Joke! Can you imagine that? Wow!" This can help defuse the atmosphere and divert attention away from inappropriate comments.
- Add a little lightheadedness by saying, “One of my talents is to speak the most appropriate in any situation,” and then you can laugh.
Step 2. Translate the offensive remark onto yourself
Tell the person whom you inadvertently insulted that you were joking that it was more of your remark about yourself. Some will find it easier to come to terms with this if you say that it was just your frank statement about yourself, and not about the interlocutor.
If you are inappropriate about someone's appearance, come up with a story that turns your statement into a story about yourself: "I am always ashamed of my appearance, so sometimes I project it onto others."
Step 3. Face the situation honestly
Tell the person that you didn't mean to offend them, and sincerely apologize for the offense. Admit that you wronged the person by mistake and try to turn your comment into a compliment.
- If you've offended the person by pointing out something you don't like about them, be honest. Say, “I'm sorry I offended you. It just seems to me that you use too much perfume when you come to work. Perhaps my sense of smell is just too sensitive. And so, I really like the way you look. You have a great wardrobe. Where do you buy clothes? "
- If you got the wrong address and sent an email to the wrong person, apologize and say that the email was for the other person, but you shouldn't have made that comment at all.
Method 3 of 5: What to do if you make a mistake with AutoCorrect
Step 1. React to the situation quickly
If your phone has AutoCorrect turned on, and it turns your statement into something offensive or derogatory, try to send a new message as soon as possible to inform the recipient that you were mistaken. If you wait too long, the recipient may think that you wanted to write to him exactly what he received. Send him a new message apologizing for the mistake.
Step 2. Try to laugh at the error
Today, everyone already knows that many phones have an autocorrect function, so if you accidentally send a message that is not what you wanted to say, most people will understand you. Try to joke about your mistake in a new message immediately after the previous one.
Write “Rzhunimagu. My phone clearly has a different opinion than mine.”
Step 3. Try to disable AutoCorrect
If you turn off AutoCorrect, you may need more time to type messages and you may have typos, but you will know that you are sending exactly the messages you wanted to send. Some phones underline misspelled words so you can correct them yourself.
Find in the instructions for your phone how to turn off AutoCorrect
Method 4 of 5: What to do if you have a failed date
Step 1. Change the subject
If your girlfriend keeps talking about things that aren't interesting or bored to you, try changing the subject. Make a general comment on the topic your friend is talking about, or make a joke about that topic, and then suggest a new topic of conversation.
- Say something like, “Oh, how sweet you love cats so much! And I'm just crazy about football. I play every weekend and always watch the world cup. Have you ever played football? "
- Joke: “Oh citizen accountant, don't bore me with your finances! Better tell me how you have fun!”
Step 2. Say that it is time for you to go home
The requirement to be at home at certain times may not only apply to high school students. Even as an adult, you can refer to the fact that it is time for you to go home, because tomorrow you have a hard day or you need to walk the dog. By referring to the fact that you need to be home by a certain date, you save yourself from too long a date.
You can talk about what time you need to be home at the very beginning of the date, and then, if everything goes wrong, you can simply remind you that it is time for you to go home. At the same time, if the date goes really well, you can say you want to come back later today because everything is so great
Step 3. Fake an important call
It will be nice if a friend or girlfriend calls you during a date. This can be used as an excuse to leave. Arrange for a call to be called in 30-40 minutes after the start of the date and be sure to turn on the sound on your phone to hear the call. If the date isn't going well, you can answer the call by saying something like, “Oh no! I will be right now! " and end the call. Prepare in advance to tell your friend or friend why you need to leave, and then politely say goodbye and leave the date.
- Say you forgot to pick up your friend's child from school.
- Tell that your dog ran away and you urgently need to pick it up from a neighbor.
Step 4. Pretend to be sick
A perceived illness can be a good good reason to leave a date. Excuse me, tell me that you need to go to the toilet, stay there for about 10 minutes. Wipe your face and hair with a damp towel and come back holding your stomach. Tell them that you are not feeling well and that you need to go home.
- You can be nice and leave some money to pay for the date.
- Leave quickly so that your companion does not have time to offer you to walk you home.
Method 5 of 5: What to do if you forget someone's name
Step 1. Complain about multiple sclerosis
If you have forgotten someone's name, but you need to introduce this person to your friend, you can absolutely honestly admit and say that you have a mess in your head. Apologize for forgetting your name and say that your head is spinning because of a lot of things and meetings that day.
Most people understand that busy schedules and stress can unsettle a person, so this explanation can be taken as a good reason
Step 2. Introduce your friend to this person
If you have forgotten someone's name, you can introduce this person to your friend, then he will have to give his name. Find a friend nearby and say, "Hi, I want to introduce my friend to you." First, say the name of your friend, and then pause for the other person to complete the dating procedure.
For example, you might say, “I want to introduce you to my friend Catta Gellar,” and the other person is forced to say something like, “Hi, Catty, I'm Melanie Smith.”
Step 3. Ask for contact information
You can find out the person's name by asking them for their contact information. You can ask to hammer the number into your phone, and then, before removing the phone, see the name. Another way to find out a person's name is to ask for a business card. Many people have business cards with them that include their name and contact information. Say that you want to keep in touch and ask for a business card.
Ask them to spell the name to make sure you spell it correctly
- Try to be honest if possible. It is always best to be honest in all situations, but if you are lying a little in an uncomfortable situation, make sure that you have really good reasons for this.
- Don't be discouraged if you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Keep in mind that everyone finds themselves in awkward situations at some point in their lives, so if you find yourself in one, this is not the end of the world. Accept the situation and let it go. One day you will remember this and laugh.
- When heading to a party or date, plan your retreat ahead of time. If you have to get out of an awkward situation, you will already know how to do it.
- There are special applications that you can download to your phone. They will ring on your phone as soon as you open them. You can download such an application to your phone and use it if an uncomfortable situation arises.
- If you feel like you're in an awkward situation and trapped, you can always just get up and walk away without explanation. If you feel that you are in danger, you need to leave immediately.
- Lying can get you in trouble. If you are using a lie to get out of an embarrassing situation, remember that the person you lied to may find out about it. If the person finds out that you lied to him, you risk losing your friend.
- Awkward situations can make you feel very anxious. If you feel anxious, the situation will become even more awkward. Try to take a few deep breaths and figure out how to get out of this situation.