Making a homemade pendant lamp is a simple (though time-consuming) DIY project that can brighten any room. These are modern lamps, albeit simple and classic, that are popular in a variety of decor projects. Think about which one you want and let's get started!
Method 1 of 3: Making your own lamp
Step 1. Prepare the site and gather materials
This is a rewarding DIY project, but messy and time consuming. Prepare a large, wide area and cover it with a tarp or newspaper. Take all the materials you need and let's get started. You will need::
- Inflatable ball (beach, exercise, or balloon)
- Cord (twine, rope, yarn, etc.)
- White glue
- Corn starch
- Warm water
- Disposable gloves (unless you want to do the project alone)
Step 2. Draw a circle on the ball
Use something round (like a saucepan lid) to mark the circle. This will be the hole in which you will insert the light bulb (or change), so make sure the hole is large enough for your hand to go through easily to install the light bulb.
- You will also use this hole to pop the ball out after completion. A suitable hole should be about 15-17.5 cm.
Step 3. Making an adhesive base
It consists of glue, one or two handfuls of cornstarch, and a little warm water; it will be ready when it takes on the consistency of thick sour cream. Use a wide-brimmed bowl or tray.
Alternatively, you can use wallpaper glue. It will also work well
Step 4. Pour some spray onto the ball
If you manage to hang the ball now, it will be great, if not, then try to do without it. Do not feel sorry for the sprinkler. You have to water the ball so that you don't want to touch it.
Vaseline is also suitable for this. Only a little thick. Acts on the same principles
Step 5. Dip the rope into the adhesive base
Skip it several times, using your thumb to remove excess glue. Wrap the rope around the ball haphazardly using whatever pattern you think will look good. A 220 feet (67 meters) reel should be enough for a small beach ball.
- Don't smear the outlined circle. This is a restricted area! It will come in handy when you make bindings..
- If you are using a light colored rope, you can use as many as you like. But if you are using dark tones, then don't wrap a lot so light can pass through it.
- Leave to dry overnight. When you see it in the morning, the ball will be hard and completely different from what you saw it before.
Step 6. Pull the ball out
Pull it down and take it out - now you understand why you should have smeared it with spray or petroleum jelly.
- If the ball is too large, stick your hand in the circle and use scissors to cut out suitable pieces (if this is an exercise ball, there may be sand in there, so be careful). Pull it very carefully through the hole (through which you will install the light bulb)..
Method 2 of 3: Installation: with wire
Step 1. Cut a piece of wire
If you have an old lampshade nearby, look at its base, perhaps the wire can be obtained from there. If not, look at your local store.
You will need a piece of wire slightly longer than the width of the hole. They should fit snugly on both sides, and the ends should be wrapped together
Step 2. Attach the wire and assemble the lamp
Take a piece of wire and wrap it around the edges of the new lampshade. Then take the middle and wrap it around the base of the lamp and twist the other end back into the ball. Ta-dam!
If the hole you made is too big, don't worry. Flip the ball over and make a hole on the other side. Problem solved
Method 3 of 3: Installation: With a hanging lamp
Step 1. Take the ready-made hanging socket for the light bulb
This is the point where you ran out of options and things got a little confusing. If you want to fix this problem, you can always hire an electrician. Also make sure the device is turned off!
If you don't have a ready-made nest, you can make one yourself. Or buy a ready-made set at IKEA, it is quite cheap. It is recommended to make this set only if you have a handle to which everything will be attached. If you are sure that you have it, then you will need:
- 3 simple attachment kits. They will serve to store the cable and to mount it on the ceiling.
- One external extension cable, at least 1 meter in length.
- One porcelain socket with metal cover
- 2-turn connectors
- Wire stripper / scissors
Step 2. Begin to make incisions
You will need a hole on the other end of the ball to initially place it on the armature. Make a few cuts with scissors directly opposite the main hole, but not too large. If they are large, the ball will immediately fall!
For the hole you just made and to keep the ball from falling, cut out a plastic ring to wrap around the bulb on top of the structure. It can be from an old lampshade or from a container lid. Food container lid - anything you can cut into a ring and anything with enough strength will do
Step 3. Attach your creation
Place the dome around the bulb and move it between the ball and the bulb. If you don't like the look of the hanging wire, place a shower bar around it to properly connect the lampshade.
If one side of the ball looks more aesthetically pleasing than the other, just rotate it. This is the beauty of a pendant lamp
Step 4. If you want, paint the lamp
- Just remove the wire and lamp. Take a can of paint and apply it to the ball.
- Some light bulbs will make the white rope yellow
- Use gloves to keep your fingers from getting sticky.