In this article, we'll show you how to view archived messages on Facebook Messenger. You can use the search bar of the Facebook Messenger mobile app to find archived chats by name, or you can view a list of chats that you've archived on your computer.
Method 1 of 2: On a computer
Step 1. Open Facebook Messenger
Go to on your computer's web browser. Your correspondence will open if you are already logged into your account.
If you are not logged in yet, enter your Facebook email address and password
Step 2. Click "Settings"
This blue gear icon is located in the upper left corner. A menu will open.
Step 3. Click on Archived Chains
This option is on the menu.
Step 4. Review the archived messages
They will appear on the left side of the page.
To expand an archived chat, click on it
Method 2 of 2: On a mobile device
Step 1. Please note that the list of archived messages cannot be viewed on mobile devices
In the Facebook Messenger mobile application, you can find and expand (open) the archived chat, but you cannot view the list of all archived messages.
Step 2. Launch the Facebook Messenger app
Click on the blue speech cloud with a white lightning bolt.
- If you haven't logged in yet, enter your Facebook phone number and password (or select your Facebook account).
- Use the Facebook site to view a list of archived chats.
Step 3. Tap Home
It's a house-shaped icon in the lower-left corner of the screen.
If you have any chat openings on Facebook Messenger, first click the Back button in the upper left corner of the screen
Step 4. Click on the search bar
It's at the top of the screen. The onscreen keyboard opens.
Step 5. Enter the name of the person you corresponded with
A menu with search results will open.
- If you have corresponded with a group of people, enter the name of any member of the group.
- If you are looking for a named group chat, enter the group name.
Step 6. Select correspondence
Tap the name of the person (or group) you corresponded with. The archived chat will open.
If you're looking for unnamed group chat, scroll down to find the group chat you want
- To archive a conversation on a mobile device, press and hold the conversation, and then tap More (skip this on Android)> Archive.
- To archive a chat on your computer, click the chat, click the gear icon to the right of the chat, and then click Archive.