Goat meat tastes like beef, but it is considered a lean product and contains less fat. It has a rich aroma that goes well with spices. There are many ways to cook goat meat; each of them needs a low heat, a lot of time and a liquid that softens the meat. Find out which pieces of meat to cook for a juicy, rich meal. Each of these recipes is for 6 servings.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 900 grams boneless goat meat, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 can (170 grams) tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
Fried goat meat
- 900 grams of boneless goat meat
- 1 glass of yogurt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
Method 1 of 3: How to choose the right piece of meat
Step 1. Go to a butcher who can offer goat meat
Usually you won't be able to find goat meat in supermarkets. Look for it from a familiar butcher, farmer who supplies meat to markets or gourmet stores, and explore the range of nearby Middle Eastern, Indian and Caribbean specialty stores.
You can ask the butcher to find you the piece of goat meat you want to try
Step 2. Choose a piece of fresh meat
As with beef and pork, you can choose different pieces of goat meat. Each has a different texture and taste, and requires different cooking methods. Here are the most popular parts of goat meat and what you can cook with them:
- Cheeks: stews
- Chops: marinated and then sautéed meat
- Meat, diced or minced: stew
- Goat's leg: marinated and then sautéed meat
- Back steak: marinated then sautéed meat
- Shoulder: marinated and then fried meat
Step 3. Learn how to reveal the taste of goat meat
Goat meat is tough enough that it will be impossible to chew if cooked at high temperatures. Cook the goat meat slowly to loosen all the tendons. During the marinating process, the goat meat becomes even more tender. Besides,
- Goat meat loses moisture very quickly due to the small amount of fat in it. It is best to cook the meat very slowly, over low heat and at low temperature with plenty of liquid added.
- It is strictly forbidden to eat goat meat raw; it should be cooked thoroughly to fully develop the flavor.
- Aromatic spices will make the meat taste rich. Goat meat is ideal for slow-cooked Middle Eastern, Mexican and Indian dishes. The meat becomes very tender when cooked over low heat.
Method 2 of 3: How to Stew Goat Meat
Step 1. Cut the meat into cubes
In most cases, you can buy pre-cut meat or do it yourself. If the goat meat is not diced, take a sharp knife and cut it into 3-centimeter pieces that work best for stews.
- Any part of the goat can be stewed. If you were unable to purchase pre-minced meat, grab a leg or steak. The whole leg can be stewed.
- To do this, you will need about 900 grams of goat meat, excluding bones.
Step 2. Marinate the meat with vegetables
Toss carrots, celery, onions, and peppers in a bowl of goat meat. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. If you don't have that much time, keep the bowl cold for at least two hours.
Step 3. Fry meat and vegetables
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Spread the marinated meat and vegetables in an even layer. Toast on one side and then flip on the other, until the meat is brownish.
- Do not wait until the meat is completely cooked, just fry on both sides for no more than two minutes, otherwise it will become tough.
- You can now put the grilled meat in the slow cooker if you don't want to cook on the stove.
Step 4. Add broth and tomato paste
Stir all the ingredients well, then cover the skillet and reduce the heat before it boils. If you want to add a new flavor to a dish, try one of the following:
- Curry goat: Substitute a glass of coconut milk for a glass of bone broth. Add 3 tablespoons of curry powder.
- Spiced Goat Meat: Add ½ peeled, seedless Scotch or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Step 5. Continue simmering for two hours
All this time, it is necessary to maintain a low fire. Check the dish every fifteen minutes; there should also be enough liquid in the pan to cover the meat and vegetables. Add water or bone broth in small portions as needed to keep the stew from drying out.
Step 6. Serve the stew when the meat is tender
After about two hours, the meat should be juicy and crumbly. Serve the stew with rice, and it tastes even better the next day.
Method 3 of 3: How to fry goat meat
Step 1. Choose a suitable piece of meat
You can cut any piece of goat meat into cubes and skewer. If you prefer roasted ham, great. You will need about 900 grams of goat meat, excluding the weight of the bones.
Step 2. Marinate goat meat
Combine yogurt, orange juice, and spices in a large bowl. Add the goat meat to a bowl and cover the meat completely with the marinade. Cover the container and refrigerate overnight, but at least four hours.
Step 3. Preheat oven to 150 ° C
Due to the low temperature, the meat will cook slowly and will be very tender.
Step 4. Wrap the meat in foil
Place the meat on a sheet of aluminum foil for baking. Gather the edges and form a pouch that should not leak. This will leave all the liquid in the meat. Place the bag in the oven on a baking sheet.
Step 5. Bake the meat for an hour
Check the meat after an hour. It should be soft and easy to pierce with a fork. If the meat is still tough, put it back in the oven and bake for half an hour.
Step 6. Serve the meat with rice and peas
This is a traditional Caribbean dish, where rice and peas or other starchy side dishes are used as a side dish.
- One goat's meat can be much softer than another. Try to clarify if it is soft enough and where it came from.
- Goat meat is considered an environmentally friendly product. Goats graze close to the ground and eat a wide variety of healthy foods (other than grains).